Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
90 gallon reef tank 1 month old

Hi All. Thought I would share my 90 gallon reef tank that turned 1 month old today. Its doing great, life is popping out of the live rock and the few fish that I have are doing great as well.

What's funny is I have not reached an ammonia spike yet it remains at 0.0 ppm. I have livestock in the tank that I would think is plenty to promote cycling.

1 yellow tang
3 pecula clowns
1 bi-color angel
2 LT anenomies
20 hermit crabs
15 snails
130# liverock
45# of sand mixed with 20# if live sand.

Its got to happen sometime, I just thought it would have started by now.

skennelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Thats a nice looking setup. Were did you get the rock from? It is was fresh and fully cured, you can sometimes avoid a cycle.

Also, good luck with those Anemones in a 1 month old tank 8O You really look like you are rushing things, you might want to slow down and make sure everything is stable. 5 fish and 2 Anemones in that tank in a month is pretty quick...

*26 freshwater*
2x Sunburst Platys (2M, 2F) // 3x Neon Tetras (?) // 2x Cherry Barbs (1M, 1F) // 2x YoYo Loaches (?) // 1x Bushy Nose Pleco (M) // 1x Clown Pleco (?) //

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I hope it does not cycle becasue if it does, you will lose livestock. Normally you wait for the tank to cycle and then add livestock. Some used to use damsels to help cycle but most use a piece of raw shrimp now. A tang and LTA's will not survive a cycle. If you see the amoonia spike yoou will have to do water changes to keep ammonia down and hope for the best.

Good luck.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Yeah, I moved a little faster then I intended especially with the anenemies, but I don't intend on adding anything else for a long long while. I've been keeping a very close eye on my levels and so far so good and all the critters are looking and acting good.

I have a relative in the pet business and I got the live rock from a local wholesale supplier. The nice thing is I get to go and hand pick the rock as I do all the livestock I put in the tank.
skennelly is offline   Reply With Quote

90 gallon, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com