90 gallon reef tank 1 month old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skennelly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All. Thought I would share my 90 gallon reef tank that turned 1 month old today. Its doing great, life is popping out of the live rock and the few fish that I have are doing great as well.

reef7_lg.jpg

What's funny is I have not reached an ammonia spike yet it remains at 0.0 ppm. I have livestock in the tank that I would think is plenty to promote cycling.

1 yellow tang
3 pecula clowns
1 bi-color angel
2 LT anenomies
20 hermit crabs
15 snails
130# liverock
45# of sand mixed with 20# if live sand.

Its got to happen sometime, I just thought it would have started by now.

Thats a nice looking setup. Were did you get the rock from? It is was fresh and fully cured, you can sometimes avoid a cycle.

Also, good luck with those Anemones in a 1 month old tank 8O You really look like you are rushing things, you might want to slow down and make sure everything is stable. 5 fish and 2 Anemones in that tank in a month is pretty quick...

I hope it does not cycle becasue if it does, you will lose livestock. Normally you wait for the tank to cycle and then add livestock. Some used to use damsels to help cycle but most use a piece of raw shrimp now. A tang and LTA's will not survive a cycle. If you see the amoonia spike yoou will have to do water changes to keep ammonia down and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Yeah, I moved a little faster then I intended especially with the anenemies, but I don't intend on adding anything else for a long long while. I've been keeping a very close eye on my levels and so far so good and all the critters are looking and acting good.

I have a relative in the pet business and I got the live rock from a local wholesale supplier. The nice thing is I get to go and hand pick the rock as I do all the livestock I put in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom