90 Gallon Saltwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok finally figured out the right position for powerheads. Things seem ok now.

2 questions today;
1. Sump repair- my baffles need to be re-siliconed in. Which means skimmer is out for 3 days. My tank us having major diatoms now expected since new sand and 10 lbs new rock. No slimmer for 3 days ok? Or should I wait till the diatom cycle is over?

2. Deep sand bed- it's getting full of nitrogen bubbles (pics). What can I add to keep my sand bed stirred? Don't want Anything that be eating the life in the sand like goby's.

Oh dsb pics

The second pic seems like something died.

Attachments

• image-1517030954.jpg
    image-1517030954.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1137533323.jpg
    image-1137533323.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 108
I wouldn't worry about the skimmer being off for a couple days. Just do a water change if you feel the nutrient level is high.How deep is your sand bed btw?

Needmorecowbell- I have about 4-5 nassarius snails and 4 cerith snails.

How many should I have in 90 gallon?

Mr._X - it's about 4 inch in the front an 1" on back. I had used about 10lbs of my old sand.

You'll need a lot more than that for a cuc. Talk o John at reef cleaners, best deal out there. I have about 17 nassarius snails in a 30 gal.

needmorecowbell said:
You'll need a lot more than that for a cuc. Talk o John at reef cleaners, best deal out there. I have about 17 nassarius snails in a 30 gal.

I do realize that numbers are low. I will add more as the tank develops. I don't want to put 30 nassarius snails in knowing my sanded is new and there will be no food for them.
Most people overstock them and they starve to death slowly.
I feel once the tank gets stable-
15- nassarius snails
15- cerith snails.
5 - dwarf hermits (red)

I would rather have bit of algae here and there than dead snails. :)

But I will check out reefcleaners. Thanks

Yeah I gotcha. I didn't add many snails until about 3 months in. Depending on your fish and how many you have, you might be able to get away with it.

Algae have started to grow on glass. I use mag- float on the glass. 2 spots are left all the time.

1. Front glass when the sand bed start.
2. Corners where the silicon meets glass and on silicon.
Just curious how you guys clean those area's.

Algae have started to grow on glass. I use mag- float on the glass. 2 spots are left all the time.

1. Front glass when the sand bed start.
2. Corners where the silicon meets glass and on silicon.
Just curious how you guys clean those area's.

CAREFULLY!!! getting that mag float anywhere near sand = scratches. I use a razorblade or something like it for the very bottom near the sand.

NyteGTI said:
CAREFULLY!!! getting that mag float anywhere near sand = scratches. I use a razorblade or something like it for the very bottom near the sand.

Thanks for razor idea. What about on the corners?
I don't use mag-float near the bottom due to scratches.

Wouldn't credit card rip the silicon in the corner?

Another problem..

Need to repair the sump under the tank. Anyone know of any silicon which bonds really strong and cures quickly. Would it work in little bit wet area?

You don't even use a mag float on the silicon. You can use a sponge or something similar that won't hurt the silicon. As for the sump, empty it, dry it with a towel, and then apply.

There's a problem.. Acrylic ankhs shouldn't be siliconed. They get melted together with weld on. Are you sure it's acrylic?

Silicone doesn't bond well to acrylic even if the tank itself is glass. You might be able to go a year or two with it, but the seals will break and leak over time. It's not that big of a deal of your just directing water though.

So I guess it's time to make a glass sump.:(
What tank size would in 46"x22. Space.

Conserned;
Clownfish never use to come out of the anemone ever since I got it. But lately I have seen them swimming out if it. They stay near it but stay in for only for short time. Is this normal?

I use corals to host clown fish, but in general they do dart out to forage and to interact with the other fish. Mine stay close to be able to dive in when needed.

Back
Top Bottom