90 gallon saltwater build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deejay62

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just set up our new 90 gallon and now we wait for it to cycle. We did base dry rock with dry sand and 10 pound bag of live sand. Our question is is this enough to cycle our tank?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395080096.373357.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395080130.519919.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395080166.500032.jpg

No that's not going to be enough to cycle it on it's own. Add an ammonia source (either pure ammonia or a thawed cocktail shrimp or 2) and let it do it's thing. Scape looks nice

Thanks about the Aquascape! Just a regular shrimp?

No I got them at my lfs, I had bought them over a period of 5 months, for they were $3.00 a pound

Thanks about the Aquascape! Just a regular shrimp?

Ya just a regular shrimp. Put it in a media bag, or pantyhose so that when it's time to pull it out you just grab the bag and don't have to fish around for pieces.

How long does the shrimp have to stay in the tank? When do I check water and do water change? Thanks for your help in advance.

some people let it hang so they can pull it out i just leave it and let it dissolve

How long does the shrimp have to stay in the tank? When do I check water and do water change? Thanks for your help in advance.

Leave it in for about a week. You can start checking your water a day or 2 after you add the shrimp. Do your first wc after ammo and nitrite fall off to 0 (you'll probably want to do 2-3 large changes to get your nitrates down to a safe level)

Leave it in for about a week. You can start checking your water a day or 2 after you add the shrimp. Do your first wc after ammo and nitrite fall off to 0 (you'll probably want to do 2-3 large changes to get your nitrates down to a safe level)

Thank you for the info. :)

Back
Top Bottom