Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hahaha what can I say, we have similar tastes

Old 10-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #122
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I have 1 48" T-5 4bulb on my 90 right now. All 4 bulbs are daylight. My lfs suggested getting another 48" T-5 4bulb before moving my hard coral over to the 90 gallon. What do you all think?

Another "option": I also have my 24"...? T-5 4bulb light that I could put in the hood with the 48" idk if that'd make any difference.

Hopefully I'll be gettin another 48" T-5 4bulb before Christmas.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry Khij, doesn't seem to be too many people her tonight, and I SUCK at lighting. Hope someone can help you!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dang. Just my luck haha. Maybe someone good with lighting will chime in or I'll get some responses tomorrow morning. (tomorrow is gonna be a very long day)

Do you know? Can I add freshly mixed saltwater to an aquarium that doesn't have any live stock yet? I know your not supposed to with fish and inverts in there.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khij159753
Dang. Just my luck haha. Maybe someone good with lighting will chime in or I'll get some responses tomorrow morning. (tomorrow is gonna be a very long day)

Do you know? Can I add freshly mixed saltwater to an aquarium that doesn't have any live stock yet? I know your not supposed to with fish and inverts in there.
The second part I actually know the answer to!! yes you can!! If there's no fish, then it doesn't matter idle the salt is fully dissolved. I took my 5g buckets, put salt in them an dumped them right in til about little over half full, added the heater and ph and let it sit overnight so salt could dissolve. Next day added rock, then more water, then Rock, then sand and then topped off. Plugged in filter and set up thermostat and let it run.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

See mine already has rock and sand though. Thats what I'm kinda worried about. But I would mix in the salt really good before dumpin it in
Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khij159753
See mine already has rock and sand though. Thats what I'm kinda worried about. But I would mix in the salt really good before dumpin it in
In that case, I would put all the water in first, keeping track of exactly how much water you put in. Then just add the salt (however much your salt says to use per gallon) directly into the water and let the PHs mix it. If you mix it first and then dump, some of the salt might end up under some of the sand ( cuz pouring water-even gently- will stir up sand ), and if it doesn't dissolve under there and at a later time the sand is disturbed and the sand comes out- well it could affect your specific gravity. So if you wait for the sand to settle, then add the salt after it settles, then that shouldn't be a problem. That make sense?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I think I got what your sayin thanks. Now I just need someone? Anyone? Whos good with lighting to answer my first question.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck!! Think we are the only ones on the salty side tonight. where is everyone???!!! Oh, right, it's the middle of he night!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. Dang sleep schedule bein all mixed up. :p haha. I'm ready tondo the water change and get everything all good to go then get my first fish in there. I'm thinking my true perc clown then my blenny after like half a week. then when I'm puttin coral in there slowly I'll probably make a trip to the lfs to pick up a few chromis.

Tags
90 gallon, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com