Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

90 gallon start!

Today im picking up a 90 gallon aquarium with stand, skimmer, some sort of built in filtration, a "blower" (I'm guessing powerhead), T-5 HO 4-bulb lights, 110lbs of sand, 75lbs of rock, and a heater. All for 350$.

I'm trying to decide If I want to move everything from my 30 gal or just keep 2 tanks.

I think I might move half the stuff over. I honestly don't know if I'll have to wait through a cycle or not but I'll probably have a little one.

I'm just trying to realize my options. I plan to have it be a reef over time.

But definitely wanna look into adding a dwarf flame angel, and maybe a foxface, yellow tang, and i think my tanks too small but would love a blue hippo tang.

Can someone help me figure out what kind of fish Are possible in 90's? I know there's alot more options but there still has to be a line somewhere.

Anyway, any questions opinions comments and anything else are welcome! Thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So after getting it, it's been down for about a week but he's kept the rock live. Unfortunately he kept it outside so it has a few leaves in it :/ should I take out the whole sand bed to remove all the leaves? Or can i just add everything and let the cycle take Care of what's left? I took out all the bigger leaves.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did he clean the detritus out of the sand if not u should definitely rinse and clean it
I would do it anyway so you know you have a clean start
Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

As for fish in a 90 yellow Yang is OK dwarf angels are fine. Bue hippo tangs get quite large over time if u want one get it small and let it grow you may eventually have to get rid of it just keep it in mind most lfs's will take them once there to large or by then you may have a bigger tank
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef79
As for fish in a 90 yellow Yang is OK dwarf angels are fine. Bue hippo tangs get quite large over time if u want one get it small and let it grow you may eventually have to get rid of it just keep it in mind most lfs's will take them once there to large or by then you may have a bigger tank
I don't know a ton about saltwater, but I do know those two fish need six foot tanks. Maybe a nice kole tang?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got some used sand from my LFS and started over with that stuff. And got 90 gallons of saltwater they had been using for a 110 tank they are moving. Got like 50lbs of LR that came with the tank in there and it's all comin together pretty nice. Will fish flake food work as an ammonia source? And there's still diatrus on the sand even though I rinsed it :/ oh well. Hopefully a great clean up crew after the cycle will get rid of that! The waters all cloudy so I'm just waiting for that to settle.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not planning on keeping a blue tang. But I am thinking about a yellow tang. I'd make sure there's plenty of swimming room. I know it's best for. 6th tank but as long as there's a good amount of swimming space he should be okay right? I'm planning on mostly keeping smaller fish but definitely want a couple bigger ones.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Two raw shrimp in a mesh bag will work to make sure your tank cycles. I did pure ammonia (ace hardware janitorial brand) instead of shrimp with very small amount of flake food to cycle the tank. You may have enough die off from your live rock that was sitting outside? Just curious how did they get the tank outside with the water still in it? If it was not filled and the rock dried out ...the rock was not alive... Basic point but I find you shouldn't assume anything...especially when terms used are very vague...IMO
Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol. So the flake food will work? I don't have shrimp right now (note to self: get some shrimp) it was empty tank except for about 2 inches of sand. The live rock was inside in a tub with a heater and a power head. I've had a saltwater tank before but the LR I got before had enough die off to cycle the tank.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm trying so hard to not test my water already! I'm so impatient!

Tags
90 gallon, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com