Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

90g

It will be months before it's set up, but we bought a 90 to do a volitan, a few butterflys and an angel. Maybe even a snowflake eel. We want to get a blue girdle angel, it says in live aquaria that it requires 70g, so this should be enough space correct?

Also to cycle, none of the rock we are buying needs to be cured. Most of it's gonna be from Hi rocks.com and the rest we will take a trip to Liverocks.com. So, inevitably I am sure that there will be an algae issue in the beginning. I was thinking that we should do the cycle with a piece of shrimp no rock just sand. This way I do not have to worry about the algae on the rocks. Once the algae subsides, add the rock and then the fish. Does this sound like a good plan of attack?

Also, since we are doing a tank that most inverts are going to be eaten, what can I get for a clean up crew besides stars?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I were you I would cycle with the sand and the rocks from Hirocks. Since that is just baserock anyway, you will not lose any life but you will give the bacteria more surface area to live in. Throw a dead shrimp in with that and wait out the cycle. After that, I would get your rock from lr.com and you should be all set.

tripper

Old 02-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
We want to get a blue girdle angel, it says in live aquaria that it requires 70g, so this should be enough space correct?
Your gonna hate this but IMO a 90 gallon is too small for a large angel. Be OK for a couple years, but would eventually need more room.
Quote:

Also, since we are doing a tank that most inverts are going to be eaten, what can I get for a clean up crew besides stars?
I don't think the Lion would eat snails, not sure about the eel though.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 90gal might be a bit tight for a full grown blue girlde ange. Cool fish though. According to "Marine Fihses" by Scott Michael they need at least a 100gal. However, i would think you could enjoy a small one for a long time in a 90. Cycling with base rock and a shrimp is a great idea. Once the tank is cylced you can add the cured LR from liverocks.com. Your best option for a clean-up crew in an agressive FO is light feedings, a good siphon and very regular water changes. You are the clean-up crew. Tank sounds cool, have fun in the set-up.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think Fenner and crew suggest a 180 gallon for a large angel.
Definately a cool fish though.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We plan on upgrading to another 150 eventually. We have a huge livingroom and plan to do an inwall for both tanks centered on the back wall, one reef, one fowlr. That is dependant upon buying this house. We are in the process now, as they are still fixing the roof from the hurricanes.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sound like a nice plan Mary.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

what about spiney sea urchins? I don't think they would eat them, but maybe I'm wrong.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com