Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand dollar View Post
Wow, that's wild! Would it prey on the fish?

I love the idea of a peaceful tank. After my damsel bullied my clown I took him back to my LFS and have opted for peaceful residents. I have a firefish and green clown goby now. I'm looking at adding a possum wrasse maybe, or a royal gramma. Some cardinals would be cool or some small schooling fish, love how they look as a little group.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Not sure! Live aquaria lists them as peaceful but what happens after the lights go out may be another story. I think they are scavengers and opportunistic feeders rather than predatory stalkers. Maybe someone who has one can chime in. I would like to hear someone's experience before I bought one but they look amazing. If they hunt, I would have to pass.

Was it hard to catch that damsel? I heard they are fast and mean. I was admiring the fish in your avatar. It's really beautiful. I like your selection of fish. That's the speed I want to go. I guess people get aquariums for all sorts of reasons but at the end of the day, I want to watch a tranquil place. Don't want to watch fish beating each other up.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had a serpent star and it was perfectly peaceful. They are opportunistic scavengers.

There are people that believe that the green serpent stars hunt fish, but I am not sure how true that is. It's probably just a rumor someone started when they saw a starfish eating a dead and / or nearly dead fish.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadial View Post

Was it hard to catch that damsel? I heard they are fast and mean. I was admiring the fish in your avatar. It's really beautiful. I like your selection of fish. That's the speed I want to go. I guess people get aquariums for all sorts of reasons but at the end of the day, I want to watch a tranquil place. Don't want to watch fish beating each other up.

Yes! I planned to do it on a water change day so I could take most of my rocks and corals out in the water I drained. Still ended up taking almost 2 hours to catch it 😕

Old 04-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Sadial, I am for sure following this build! What a cool rockscape . Blennies are lots of fun, yours looks great! I have had a few in past tanks; a Bicolor/Lawnmowers, and really enjoyed having them when I did.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I had a serpent star and it was perfectly peaceful. They are opportunistic scavengers.

There are people that believe that the green serpent stars hunt fish, but I am not sure how true that is. It's probably just a rumor someone started when they saw a starfish eating a dead and / or nearly dead fish.
Good to know! Did you specifically feed your serpent star or did it find enough to eat around the tank?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand dollar View Post
Yes! I planned to do it on a water change day so I could take most of my rocks and corals out in the water I drained. Still ended up taking almost 2 hours to catch it ��

Wow, that nuts! Glad you caught it.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea View Post
Hi Sadial, I am for sure following this build! What a cool rockscape . Blennies are lots of fun, yours looks great! I have had a few in past tanks; a Bicolor/Lawnmowers, and really enjoyed having them when I did.
Thanks I agree they are lots of fun.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadial View Post
Good to know! Did you specifically feed your serpent star or did it find enough to eat around the tank?
I went out of my way to feed it. I attached some solid airline tubing to a syringe with a length of regular airline tubing. I just target fed everything in my tank, it was simple with that little contraption.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I went out of my way to feed it. I attached some solid airline tubing to a syringe with a length of regular airline tubing. I just target fed everything in my tank, it was simple with that little contraption.
What a great idea!

Tags
blenny, build, star, tan, tank, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com