90G Starry Blenny Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadial

Aquarium Advice Activist
My starry blenny is currently living in a 24G nanocube. I'm building a 90G tank to upgrade his digs. This build began last summer and it's taking me forever but I'm finally getting there. I'm also interested in rehoming my Hollywood stunner chalice, which is getting to be a real monster in size.

So, this tank is built with the blenny in mind. The background is foam and eggcrate, sealed with drylok. I know these backgrounds were sort of popular a few years back. I've experimented with the foam and built a background for a 60G paludarium that I ran for 6 months. I took it down because the waterfall splashed the glass and the logistics of cleaning it were a pain. Not to mention the planted portion was either too dry or too muddy. However, I didn't notice any adverse effects to the animals that lived in it during this time. I had a blue crayfish and tropical fish and had no casualties. I felt satisfied it didn't pose a significant health risk. I wanted to apply this to a reef tank. I tie-wrapped 7 PVC elbows into the background that were blenny sized swim through caves. Also tie-wrapped rubble rock to the eggcrate to minimize the amount of foam I would need. Since my tank is only 18" deep, I wanted to maximize the area of the back wall. Using this 3D background only cost me a few inches, opposed to what building up a wall of rock would cost me in tank space. I do plan to add quite a bit of live rock after I get it cycling so the rock scape isn't close to done. But what I accomplished was 7 caves in a space that may have otherwise been unused. I also built an arch with rock and foam. I've tie-wrapped loops so I can add coral frags down the road. While it looks a bit artificial, I think in time, it will blend in after coralline encrusts it.

Lighting is cheap ebay LEDs. But I really like them! I wasn't ambitious enough to attempt to hang them from my ceiling so I thought I'd try plant brackets. I have a piece of wood screwed into the wall studs and hung the lights from the brackets mounted on it. I have to fix some screws and maybe paint it but I think it turned out ok. I do have a canopy for the tank but may not use it.

Hoping someone can 'once over' the sump. I'm concerned about the waterline that is marked on the sump - it's 6" and has to work with the protein skimmer and return pump. I wanted to set it up in the bathtub and do a closed loop test to see if this is going to work or if I need the water level higher. I'm stuck on this point and don't want to finalize it in the cabinet until I feel confident it will work. The pump is a RIO 2100. It came with the setup that I bought off CL. I'm hoping it's going to work. I think the drain line is 1" and the return line is 3/4" Also took out the bio balls that were in the compartment. Not sure how I want to fill that space. Might do a mix of rubble rock and those ceramic rings.

I have poles to reinforce my floor from the basement because I'm running this tank parallel with the joists instead of across them. Had I put it across the joists, it would have been in front of a window. I did some reading on reinforcing flooring. I guess a 90G is iffy but I don't want to risk a sagging floor and the problems that could happen from that. Poles are cheap compared to fixing a floor.

I bought 2 wave makers. I think I want them running opposite of each other. I've never played around with them so I'm going to have to figure out good placement and do some more reading.

Here are pictures so far.

This kids named him Quibbler. I love this guy to bits.

Close up... his eyes were clouded when I bought him but it doesn't seem to slow him down.

Ebay lights

This setup seems to work but I need to get a bigger bit to finish the bottom screws.

Sump in question.

Paludarium with DIY foam background

Great setup u got there!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good stuff! Its nice to see someone else on the forum keep one of these fish :)

They arent the most colorful, but are definitely one of the more interesting fish around. How big is yours?

I might have to steal this idea when i upgrade my tank.

I dont see why the sump wouldnt work. which section dors the tank water flow into?

Tank looks great, very cool backing. I will enjoy watching it grow, what else are you planning to stock in there with all of that room?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good stuff! Its nice to see someone else on the forum keep one of these fish :)

They arent the most colorful, but are definitely one of the more interesting fish around. How big is yours?

I might have to steal this idea when i upgrade my tank.

I dont see why the sump wouldnt work. which section dors the tank water flow into?

My blenny is about 4.5 inches. It's the most comical fish - tons of personality in that little body. Glad you have one too! They're awesome fish.

Steal away! I was inspired to do this by other people's builds and combined different ideas from various builds into something that worked for my setup and goals.

The water flows into the chamber furthest from the protein skimmer. Where it sits is the only place that it would fit.

I got the pole jacks installed in the basement so the only thing that's holding me up at this point is the sump. The upper plumbing and bulkheads are done.

Tank looks great, very cool backing. I will enjoy watching it grow, what else are you planning to stock in there with all of that room?

Thanks :) I think I'm going to stick to a few peaceful nano sized fish for now. Everything is being built around this one fish so aggressive fish are out. I'm probably going to focus more on the inverts and coral for a long time. I do want a serpent starfish. I thought this video was cool:

Wow, that's wild! Would it prey on the fish?

I love the idea of a peaceful tank. After my damsel bullied my clown I took him back to my LFS and have opted for peaceful residents. I have a firefish and green clown goby now. I'm looking at adding a possum wrasse maybe, or a royal gramma. Some cardinals would be cool or some small schooling fish, love how they look as a little group.

Wow, that's wild! Would it prey on the fish?

I love the idea of a peaceful tank. After my damsel bullied my clown I took him back to my LFS and have opted for peaceful residents. I have a firefish and green clown goby now. I'm looking at adding a possum wrasse maybe, or a royal gramma. Some cardinals would be cool or some small schooling fish, love how they look as a little group.

Not sure! Live aquaria lists them as peaceful but what happens after the lights go out may be another story. I think they are scavengers and opportunistic feeders rather than predatory stalkers. Maybe someone who has one can chime in. I would like to hear someone's experience before I bought one but they look amazing. If they hunt, I would have to pass.

Was it hard to catch that damsel? I heard they are fast and mean. I was admiring the fish in your avatar. It's really beautiful. I like your selection of fish. That's the speed I want to go. I guess people get aquariums for all sorts of reasons but at the end of the day, I want to watch a tranquil place. Don't want to watch fish beating each other up.

I had a serpent star and it was perfectly peaceful. They are opportunistic scavengers.

There are people that believe that the green serpent stars hunt fish, but I am not sure how true that is. It's probably just a rumor someone started when they saw a starfish eating a dead and / or nearly dead fish.

Was it hard to catch that damsel? I heard they are fast and mean. I was admiring the fish in your avatar. It's really beautiful. I like your selection of fish. That's the speed I want to go. I guess people get aquariums for all sorts of reasons but at the end of the day, I want to watch a tranquil place. Don't want to watch fish beating each other up.

Yes! I planned to do it on a water change day so I could take most of my rocks and corals out in the water I drained. Still ended up taking almost 2 hours to catch it ?

Hi Sadial, I am for sure following this build! What a cool rockscape (y). Blennies are lots of fun, yours looks great! :) I have had a few in past tanks; a Bicolor/Lawnmowers, and really enjoyed having them when I did. :D

I had a serpent star and it was perfectly peaceful. They are opportunistic scavengers.

There are people that believe that the green serpent stars hunt fish, but I am not sure how true that is. It's probably just a rumor someone started when they saw a starfish eating a dead and / or nearly dead fish.

Good to know! Did you specifically feed your serpent star or did it find enough to eat around the tank?

Yes! I planned to do it on a water change day so I could take most of my rocks and corals out in the water I drained. Still ended up taking almost 2 hours to catch it ��

Wow, that nuts! Glad you caught it.

Hi Sadial, I am for sure following this build! What a cool rockscape (y). Blennies are lots of fun, yours looks great! :) I have had a few in past tanks; a Bicolor/Lawnmowers, and really enjoyed having them when I did. :D

Good to know! Did you specifically feed your serpent star or did it find enough to eat around the tank?

I went out of my way to feed it. I attached some solid airline tubing to a syringe with a length of regular airline tubing. I just target fed everything in my tank, it was simple with that little contraption.

I went out of my way to feed it. I attached some solid airline tubing to a syringe with a length of regular airline tubing. I just target fed everything in my tank, it was simple with that little contraption.

What a great idea!

Back
Top Bottom