90g startup - how much lr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baconfingers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
researching my first tank. fowlr 90g.

question - how much lr do i need? i read most recs are for 1.5lb per gal. if i add 135 lb of rock, does it all need to be lr?

or can i get by with less (if so, how much less)? as i understand it i can add dry rock and it will become lr (after how long?)

also note - i plan to cure my own rock, if that matters.

in my research, answers to these questions have been seemingly very vague. thanks!

researching my first tank. fowlr 90g.

question - how much lr do i need? i read most recs are for 1.5lb per gal. if i add 135 lb of rock, does it all need to be lr?

or can i get by with less (if so, how much less)? as i understand it i can add dry rock and it will become lr (after how long?)

also note - i plan to cure my own rock, if that matters.

in my research, answers to these questions have been seemingly very vague. thanks!

I would say you want at least 90 lbs, the more the better. You can use dry base rock along with live rock it is definitely cheaper. It will probably take a month or so with live rock for base rock to be at least colonized with beneficial bacteria.

I would say you want at least 90 lbs, the more the better. You can use dry base rock along with live rock it is definitely cheaper. It will probably take a month or so with live rock for base rock to be at least colonized with beneficial bacteria.

cool thanks. follow-up question. if im going to start with 135lbs, what % of rock should be LR if i am going to put in both LR and dry rock? assuming 1mo to colonize all the dry rocks.

I too am in the process of planning a 90 gallon in the very near future.
I plan to go with 140 lbs of rock - approximately 60 / 40 split of base / live. = 84 / 56

However, according to Mr Saltwater Tank, he says buy it dead! Pretty sure he is telling folks to buy all BASE rock and seed ONLY with live rock from trusted sources. I am wondering if you could "seed" 100% of base rock with the bottles of live pod food bought from LFS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom