90gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. D

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently just made arrangements to purchase a 90gl reef ready tank setup (tank, stand, DIY refudgium, and lights) off of some1 from Craig's list and I will be picking it up soon, but I was wondering the lights this tank has on it now are the power compacts and it will be a while before I can grab the lights I want.... What corals could I keep under this? If any in that tank?

Mr. D said:
I recently just made arrangements to purchase a 90gl reef ready tank setup (tank, stand, DIY refudgium, and lights) off of some1 from Craig's list and I will be picking it up soon, but I was wondering the lights this tank has on it now are the power compacts and it will be a while before I can grab the lights I want.... What corals could I keep under this? If any in that tank?

Also what are some LED fixtures that I could put on there when the time comes for the up grade... I was hopping to spend under 500 to light the whole thing... I want to eventually keep...SPS, LPS, and an anemone

Also what protien skimmers could you recommend that are solid but under $250

I know they are on the cheaper end of the skimmer spectrum, but my Corallife super skimmer 125, has served me well for 6 uninterrupted years, besides cleaning. Started on a 135 tall, and is now on my 180 mixed reef. Ive had it on the 180 for a year and has done good, but need to get a larger one. For the price( think 160 on sale, foster smith), it's worked great!

Thanks, I'll Deffinatly look into it.... It is almost dead silent?

If you hang it on the tank you hear it a little bit, that's how I had it on the 135. In sump, cant hear it at all. I've been really happy with mine, there weren't as many options for skimmers 6 years ago, but like I said before, for the money, it is great. Good luck

View attachment 82293

Corallife 125

Reef octopus skimmers really good. I paid about 265 I think for my 90 gallon reef. Skimmer rated for 180gal

I also have a orbit power compact light fixture. 2 10000k days and 2 actinics. You can sustain a reef tank for sure. It is considered moderate lighting.

Yeah, was thinking about them but I herd people have trouble with the pumps?.....Are you able to keep LPS? And SPS in the top 1/3 of the tank?

Only certain reef octopus pumps have issues . It is Psk 2500 pump by sicce. Once you know how to fix it there isn't an issue.

Another skimmer option is the eshopps which is pretty cheap. :) I have a psk 150 running on my 125g and it pulls some serious gunk. It also only cost me $109 so it was a great deal.

For a skimmer check out the AquaC EV-180 or the 240, I have the 240 and it's a beast, I think you can get a used one on eBay for under $200.

Thanks I will deff check it out and do some research on it.... Or do you think I should hold off about 2more weeks and spring for an aqua ev 120? Or do you think that they are do close in quality it does not matter

Yeah, I never thought eBay wasn't sure how trustworthy it is

Mr. D said:
Yeah, I never thought eBay wasn't sure how trustworthy it is

If I could get a great deal I could deff get a skimmer like that

Mr. D said:
Thanks I will deff check it out and do some research on it.... Or do you think I should hold off about 2more weeks and spring for an aqua ev 120? Or do you think that they are do close in quality it does not matter

I have a 120 on my 55g and a 240 on my 72g (only because I plan on upgrading to a 180g), I would say get the 180, the 120 is kind of small, I wouldn't use it for anything bigger than 55g. Just my opinion.

Really? It says up to 120 but just give it the extra plus plus1?

And I would like to keep a yellow tang or a purple tang(if a sale come up when I ready to add one) but only for a short time.... About how long would it take for one to out grow that tank if I buy considered to be tiny or small

My yellow has grown at least 3X his original size in just a few months. he is now, hmm, maybe 5-6 inches? And all he does is go back and forth all day long. I got a 6 foot tank just so I could have one. It was worth the wait, but it did suck waiting. lol

Back
Top Bottom