Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I know i want to be able to house brain coral as well as a maxima clam.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't, but the spread is what he should be looking at. The brain and clam would work in the middle, but def not on the outer parts of the cube with 1 fixture. Also, if you get the Radion, don't set the white at 100%. Have had some algae issues with it,so I dialed them down a bit and it seems to be better.

I also have mine 2 inches off the tank and am mounting them tomm. I have procrastinated on this for months.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #33

Well that might work out as i could house different species in different areas. I really want the light. I saw one at a lfs combined with eco's pumps and its a pretty sweet setup.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #34

Do you have a glass canopy? He quoted me one but I don't want to use it. I think the glass and condensate will affect the lighting, no?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do have the canopy and its coming off tomm finally!!! I am hanging the lights tomm and slowly increasing the intensity. The glass can interfere with the tanks gas exchange. I have a corner tank, so I had to DIY a shelf to hang the lights from. Shelf built and stained. Hubby over did it at the gym, so his arms are jello today, which is why we are hanging tomm. I have been waiting for months!!! I upgraded my skimmer, so it prompted me to hang the lights.

Depending on what you stock, you can try 1 in the middle, but...if you need the additional one, the add'l 750 would not be right away.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Acrylic would give more light penetration, but I wouldn't recommend it. It keeps in the heat and doesn't allow for gas exchange. I have a screen top on mine. It actually doesn't look bad or cheesy or take away from appearance like some may think. I got the idea from bulkreefsupply.com, they have a DIY video on it. I bought 1/4" clear netting and a spline roller (which really helps) from BRS and bought the spline and window metal frames at Home Depot. Buying most of the supplies at a hardware store is 50% cheaper than buying the kit as a whole. It was pretty easy to make too, just need a saw for cutting the metal.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #37

Sounds good Im gonna stay with the light, if i need another later then I guess I will buy one.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #38

Im gonna place my order monday, and for tose of you that helped out Im gonna do s build thread. There will be lots of pics...
Old 10-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunk1978 View Post
Im gonna place my order monday, and for tose of you that helped out Im gonna do s build thread. There will be lots of pics...
Awesome! Can't wait, and I'll be following.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

I found my 93 gallon cube with a 6 in Koran angel, a Niger trigger and 4 damsels, live rock, live sand, 3 sets of t5 lights, power head, with a wet/dry trickle filter on Craig's list for 700.00. And he thew in the r o filter and food, salt, ect. Now I watch Craig's list all the time : )

Tags
3 gallon, cube, equipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com