96x60x26 advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firereef

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New Tank 96x60x26 any advice??

I'm about to order my new 700 and just wonder if anyone has any advice.

Heres what i'm thinking:

Tank - 96x60x26, viewable 3 sides, Starphire 3 sides, external overflow box on 1 long side, 2 closed loops, refugium, sump, proptank. This will be in an enclosed room in the basement. A room divider.

Some questions....

Would you change the tank dimensions at all??

Lighting for a tank that size? I want to keep a variety of everything....how many? what spectrum? 250 HQI??

Closed loop...how many GPH? what pump?

Sump- How big?

Refuge- How big?

Prop tank- How big?

Humidifier? Air return? Vents? Any experience here????

thank you!

If the dimentions could be cahnged I woudl make it a little shorter in height. At 26" you will need probably 400W MH lights to properly light the tank. Thats a ton of bulbs also. As best I can tell you would need at least 8 MH bulbs. If you made them 20K then you would not need any more light unless it was just personal preference. If you did 10K bulbs then you should supplment with VHO actinic lighting.

With two closed loops I personally would shoot for something like 700-900GPH each. Have them run thru a sqwd or something else that would divert the flow over multiple outlets. A tank thats 5' from front to back and 8' from side to side will need a fair amount of total flow.

A 650-700 gal tank would benifit from a 100+ gal sump and a refuge in the neighborhood of 75-90 gal. Size the prop tank to what ever size you want. If your proping tons of corals you sould probably go with multple prop tanks to keep the different species from going to chemical warefare with eachother.

You wont need a humidifyer thats for sure. YOu will need to vent the evaporation and humidity from the tanks outside else suffer from mosture damage.

What is a good wayto vent such humidity? recommended fans? brands? should I have air returning back in the room??

thanks

Back
Top Bottom