???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawasakizx636

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
was wondering how long it takes for that purple stuff to grow on the back glass. My rock has lots of it cause i bought my rock from the lfs showcase tank. It looks like there some kind of brownish stuff on the glass. i heard its suppose to go lime green then purple. I started my tank on june 24 2006. is there's maybe some drops that i have to put in. Also i bought my tank as a kit so i got this package with three bottles that i have to put a capfull of each twice a week: reef plus, reef complete and reef carbonate.
is that stuff good for the tank cause i'm running out, should i buy more or get something else. also i have some kind of residue floating on the top of the water, is that normal. and my last question, what kind of skimmer should i get. i have a 46g bowfront.
thx

I would expect it to take quite awhile for coraline algae to build up on the glass of a newly set-up tank, and thats assuming that the water parameters are good for such growth.

Here is some advise that I learned @ this site. "Never add anything to your tank that you don't have a test kit to monitor its level." Like everyone else, I have MANY test kits. The resultant test information can be a real eye opener. Additionally, if your test results give you reading that just don't seem right, test the water at the lfs or use a friend's kit to verify. These hobbist test kits are not 100%. I have found a few discrepancies. The biggest was comparing my hydrometer readings with my refractometer readings. Not even close!

Hydro = 1.030
Refract = 1.023

I prefer to get my suppliments from regular water changes as opposed to dosing the tank and I can leave a magnet in my tank for 2 weeks and get purple stuff growing on it already. You've only got a 2, maybe 3 month setup which I think is still a bit early to see purple. Give it a couple of months with regular water changes and I think you'll see some starting to spread from the rocks to the glass, and heater, and skimmer, and powerheads, etc, ect.

I like the CPR Bak Pak HOB skimmers.

Charlie and austinsdad are correct. I don't add anything to my tank. I go the natural way, as much as possible. I only add Zoe, Selcon and garlick to my food.

The "brownish" stuff is possibly algae. The corraline will be bright green, then turn to purple.

The corraline will be bright green, then turn to purple.

I bought some Premium Fiji pre-cured lr over the net. I had it shipped overnight to prevent excessive die-back. When it arrived, it was 100% mottled beige/brown and looked as dead as dead gets. There was absolutely nothing on this rock. I was VERY disappointed. After 5-6 weeks I noticed quite a bit of bright white coverage that looks like white enamel paint. Within another week or so I noticed tiny pinkish dots developing in/on the smooth white surface. I'm assuming that the white stuff is turning into coraline algae but I won't be sure for awhile yet. I hope so because so far nothing else has developed on this rock.

For whatever reason my calcium readings are in the 200's, despite the fact that I do weekly PWC's with IO salt. I've been dosing with C-BALANCE for more than a week and the levels have been rising slowly.

By the way - On my new IO Calcium test kit I had a reading of 270-285 after dosing for a few days. I brought a sample to the lfs. They got a reading of 350 on their Salifert kit. Go figure ???????

The brownish stuff is more than likely diatoms. Normal in a newly setup tank they will die out on their own. Diatoms will not turn into coraline (purple stuff). PWC is all you basically need to replenish your system.

I set up my tank on Mother's Day with coraline loaded LR from LFS show tank that was being dismantled. Coraline started showing up on everything else about a month ago. So roughly 3 1/2 months into it. I do a 5-8g. water change every week. I also have evaporation issues due to fans, so on a hot week, it's more like 10g. water change. Some is just top off. Water parameters have been perfect since the begining. I add nothing.

i'm starting to get a little bit on my heater but not the glass yet. But its only been 2 months so, i guess i just have to wait.
also i can't wait till i can buy some coral, but the lfs told me that it needs 9 hours of light, and i just have 7 hours right now. he told me that i should advance the lights a half hour every week, starting at 5 hours. Is that right?

Ihave a blue and white T6 superlux.

What are you trying to light acclimate? Not shur what u mean.

How much are you changing out when you do a water change? personally I would do about 4.5 gal. every 2 weeks.

i do water changes every 20 days

I guess everyone does things differently but I do a 12% PWC every week. I might add that my calcium levels were still too low to promote coraline algae growth.

You MUST test for calcium & alkalinity to have an idea as what the levels actually are. Water changes are good but you may not always get what you anticipated. I didn't.

I put 3 large pieces of lr into my tank from the lfs. They were 75% covered in deep purple coraline. After 1 month the coraline had not expanded to the other Fiji rock which was basically brown. I eventually ordered a few more test kits and found that despite my weekly PWC's the calcium levels remained low. Two weeks after elevating my calcium & alkalinity levels and I have tiny pink dots forming everywhere. I can't wait to see what a month or two will bring.

I'd rather not dose my tank but for whatever reason it appears necessary. Next stop is the kalkwasser express.

Back
Top Bottom