Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by buc09
also with the heater... i previously did not have a heater in my big tank? why is this necesary
The answer to your question is that the bigger your water volume the more stable your temps are. I have a 125 gallon tank that has a heater but it rarely runs because the large volume of water stays pretty stable. 10 gallons on the other hand will need a heater quite often because of the small water volume temps will fluctuate. HTH

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thank you... i will add that to my list of things to do...
do the LFS have these heaters....

also i do not need to buy everything at the same time at first all i need is the filter tank water and sandcorrect while it cycles

Old 02-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
yes the lfs sells heaters. They are around $15-$20.

You also need 15 to 20 lbs of lr to cycle your tank. Do not add any fish until the cycle is complete.

If you get cheap equipment, you get what you pay for. So I suggest you spend some extra $ on equipment so you don't have problems later on.

The lr itself will be your $120.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

As Lance said you will need the LR also. You can cycle your tank and cure your LR at the same time. Good Luck.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 02-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have to say that these people on this forum have helped me tremendously...I had researched lots before I took the plunge..I have had FW for many years but different ball game here...the best advice I can give you is to get the best equipment that you possibly can afford. If it means saving for another month then so be it..time flys. You will not be disappointed..SW is not something to skimp on for sure...and the 2nd most important thing is to ask lots of questions and appreciate the advice these guys give you because they know their stuff..they are not getting paid to help people like you and I and its our job to listen and not get defensive when people are trying to help us...and the 3rd most important thing is to have fun because this is the neatest adventure that Ihave been on in a longtime.

Grim
Old 02-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Remember: Reading is your friend. You can never learn enough.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:36 AM   #17

i dont no if this is correct... but you guys suggest this skimmer for the tank.. i just think its gunna be a little to big? and stand out on a 10 gallon tank.... anyone hear of thiss one? New 2007 Model Odyssea PS75 HOB SUMP Protein Skimmer*..
thank you for the help...
should be getting the tank monday with the skimmer live sand and some live rock... lighting will be bought wen cycle is close to over? .. is that ok and ...

i also read another article in this section about purple up.. is that ok to put in the tank as its cycling and then stop and test the water and maybe giv it a week off before adding fish or anything else to the tankkk

...one last thing if i get this skimmer do i need a filter?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:53 AM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
i also read another article in this section about purple up.. is that ok to put in the tank as its cycling and then stop and test the water and maybe giv it a week off before adding fish or anything else to the tankkk
There is absolutely no reason to add this to your tank during the cycle. After the cycle PWC`s will do what you need most likely. Additives will be hard on a tank of that size.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 02-04-2007, 01:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
i dont no if this is correct... but you guys suggest this skimmer for the tank.. i just think its gunna be a little to big? and stand out on a 10 gallon tank.... anyone hear of thiss one? New 2007 Model Odyssea PS75 HOB SUMP Protein Skimmer*..
thank you for the help...
If you are bound and determined to do a 10 gallon, skip the skimmer and filter idea altogether, buy more liferock...20 lbs or so, and lots of salt. You will be doing a minimum of 2 25% H2O changes per week. I know this because I run a 10 gallon nano. There really isn't a skimmer on the market suitable for a tank that size.
The odyessa skimmers are crap. Spend less that $75 on a skimmer and you will likely throw it out the window in a week.

Again, for the 9th time, i as with the other members encourage you to save up and buy a larger tank.

Quote:
should be getting the tank monday with the skimmer live sand and some live rock... lighting will be bought wen cycle is close to over? .. is that ok and ...
Yes and no. From your rush to do all of this, and your determination to fight good advice, i encourage you to wait to buy your live rock until you have your lighting and all equipment you need.

Yes, technically you could cycle without lights, but if you have anything you want to live on the rocks other than bacteria (coralline algae, sponges, hitchhikers, corals) you need lights to keep them alive, if they survive the cycle.

Quote:
No. not ok. You need test kits and a full understanding of what your water needs and doesn't need before you go dumping additives willy nilly. Purple up adds calcium and magnesium and alters your KH, GH and PH. Make sure you understand these concepts and what the parameters for each should be before dumping them in your tank.

Many think Purple Up is snake oil anyway. I'd be among that group.

Quote:
...one last thing if i get this skimmer do i need a filter?
See my answer about your skimmer choice. The reason we pressed you on a skimmer was in hopes you would listen to countless suggestions to go with a larger tank (30+ gallons minimum). If you must do only 10 gallons because you don't want to wait enough to save up money, you might consider getting an aqua clear filter and modifying it for a refugium. Otherwise count on quality live rock to filter your water, along with a diligent schedule of water changes, 2-3 x per week at 10-25% volume.

You are also going to need at least one quality powerhead suitable for a small tank, preferably 2
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #20

lol.. i feeel bad for saying this but now im really getting lost...

for starts im gunan put a list of what i no i need and what i think i need... can u guys fill me in with some names of the actuall products so i can search around..

10 gallon tank
live sand
water
lighting and rocks

now for what im not shure about is the skimmer i no you said i do not need it but then what will i need you are confusing me a little sorry for this

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com