Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Haha... waitt...you really expect me to answer the 1000 questions you put there... and I can't believe you really typed all of that .. Don't worry I no my stuff and I will continue to read up on my articless. And thank you for the testing and cycling part...as I read I will cycle with my lr and lights... I will put the heater as well.. (Can the heater wait or should I put that in now as well?) I will test my water weekly with a weekly water change..
Now one thing in which I am undecided about is filter skimmer or n e thing else I've gotten 20 diferent suggestions..(also plz don't rag on me because the fact that I'm getn a 10g plz help) Money is not an issue anymoreee... please give me a certain brand so I can read about that 1 plz and thank you

Old 02-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #32
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Even though I do agree with ya`ll and I always suggest at least a 55 We still can not make up their mind for them. If he wants to do a 10 gallon then we have to respect his wishes. All we can do is express our experiences and opinions. The rest is up to the OP. I have not posted because you have covered my sentiments exactly. That being said a 10 gallon nano tank can be done but it`s going to be hard but like I said it can be done. There are many examples on the nano reef forum. I would suggest the OP check out that forum on this site.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
Old 02-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

like talking to a brick wall. i'm out. good luck. please do some reading so you don't kill some animals in a painful way.
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:48 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
MyCatsDrool- Wow! How long did it take to type all that? lol. Great post.

Umm If you have all the time to take care of it (you don't have a job?) then don't get a skimmer at all. Just do two 15-20% pwc's a week, like one on wednesday and one on saturday and you will have to check the water params about every other day at least three times a week for the next 3-4 weeks especially through the cycle and when you start to add one or two fish. Then you can check it twice a week and make sure to keep up with the pwc's. The most important thing for such a small tank is making sure the water params are stable because it can go south pretty quickly if you don't keep up with it.

BTW I've spent $300-$350 on my ten gallon nano for setup and livestock (and I already had the tank and filters). And I've probably put $2k in my 20 gallon nano. That includes setup, livestock, and maintaining it (salt, food, etc.).
Old 02-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bottom line...SW tanks are more expensive then you think. All of the "extras" required to maintain a SW add up quick. Heed the advice of the others here. Research, research, research.
Quote:
But why must you guys influence my choice
Isn't that reason you came here with questions??? The advice you have been given is ment to help you succeed in the world of SW. It sounds like a little "influence" is exactly what you need. As mentioned, a 10gal tank is certainly not the ideal way to start out. However, it can be done, and done well if you go slow, do things right the first time and listen to the good folks here.
Quote:
waitt...you really expect me to answer the 1000 questions you put there...
Yes...Knowing the answers to those questions will deepen your knowledge on SW tanks and aid in your success.
Quote:
Don't worry I no my stuff
I am not convinced of that yet...stick around awhile and I am sure you learn a lot.
Quote:
Now one thing in which I am undecided about is filter skimmer or n e thing else I've gotten 20 diferent suggestions
Your biggest challenge is going to be maintaning stable water parameters. Anything you can do to shift the odds in your favor will be beneficial. I recommend a 2-3 inch LS bed, 20-25lbs of LR as your primary filtration. You can also run HOB filter for mechanical and chemical filtration is you wish. There are several brands out there. As far as the skimmer goes, any tank will benefit from having a skimmer. However, you can get by without them in smaller tanks due to the increased frequency of water changes.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Quote:
waitt...you really expect me to answer the 1000 questions you put there...
Yes...Knowing the answers to those questions will deepen your knowledge on SW tanks and aid in your success.
Like i said, 95% of us can answer them, and read and researched enough BEFORE adding water to be able to answer them.

I can answer them all. Without google. Without help. Before I started my first tank. Because i researched and read so ANIMALS wouldn't die or suffer needlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Quote:
Don't worry I no my stuff

Uh huh. <sarcasm on>You are doing a most excellent job of proving it too!</sarcasm>

And I typed all that because it is how i have been feeling for a long time about the countless people who come here wiht your cavalier attitude, then kill a bunch of reef ANIMALS and fish, then never come back, just to shelf the death tank in a garage somewhere, or come back and lie, saying how great their tank is while honestly having just let a beautiful and peaceful blue hippo tang die because they thought it'd be neato to cram one in a 10 gallon tank they just set up yesterday. Or all the folks who refused to do it right and come back stomping their feet that we didn't help them and now their fish are dying from ich and they treated with copper and now all their inverts are dying too.

That is why i typed it. Because now I can copy and paste it everytime this happens.

Yes, i fully expect you to be able to answer all those questions. 100% of them. Before you even think about putting water in a tank.

Sorry guys, i just couldn't stay away and let it go.
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow MyCatsDrool... glad I didn't have to take your AquariumExam 101 test before I put water in my tank!

While I'm also thinking starting SW with a 10gallon with tons of stuff crammed into it is a recipe for disaster, I'm really glad I didn't the welcome buc09 received. Granted... folks should know the majority of the answers to those questions, but really - name the genus' of corals? Why would someone need to know that? Seems to me that if you're educated about starting a tank, then you know you've got about 1-2 months after the time you put in live rock until you can even start to think about adding fish, and probably several more months until you add corals. Doesn't that give you plenty of time to learn more? Did you know everything there was to know about SW before YOU added water to your tank?

I guess my point is that this whole hobby is a learning experience. I'm guessing even the experts learn something new once in a while, or look back on something they did a year ago and hit their forehead firmly with the palm of their hand. While asking for advice, and then arguing with that advice is a rather frustrating thing for folks that are truly trying to help, I think expecting people to know everything before they dive in to this hobby is a very unrealistic expectation.

Just my thoughts.

Oh... and buc09 - add my vote to the "save for a bigger tank" crowd. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 29 or 30 gallon tank. The fluctuations in a 10 gallon would be a constant pain in the butt and you'd probably get frustrated and shelve it after about 6 months. I know I probably would. Not sure how the gal you mentioned does it with hers, but I'm sure there's more to that story than maybe you're getting.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think it was when he first said "explain it to me like a baby" then when we did and he rejected everything, telling us we didn't know what we were talking about by saying you need a heater, and getting mad when we said you simply can't start a SW tank from dead scratch on $120, then saying he knows his stuff after asking us to "explain it to him like a baby" is when I started getting irritated.....
Not to mention people who refuse to use any mocodum (sp...Is that even the word?) of grammar or even attempt to spell out words...I have a niece who is 9 that at least spells out "know" rather than "no". but that is just a pet peeve. I don't use perfect grammar or spelling, but i at least try.

Before then, we were trying to be helpful. And still are. But when you tell someone the truth and they refuse to accept it, and are going to do what they want anyway....well, it gets frustrating.

And i am sure you could name frogspawn, hammer, and plate or acro and monti.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
The people here are incredibly patient and helpful. The fact that they are getting so hostile to buc09 in a manner I've rarely seen ought to be a clue to him that he's about to embark on something he's monumentally unprepared for. If you think it's bad now, just wait until you ignore their advice and go ahead anyways, and then come asking for help. They will not be sympathetic.

I've only been in SW for two months. I'll admit I can't answer all those questions off the top of my head, but I am researching all the time. But here's one very critical point: I know when I don't know. Then I come here and ask or research elsewhere before going ahead with anything. My animals' welfare is at stake.

Planted tanks taught me this, buc09: If you're not prepared to do it right, you better be prepared to do it over. It took me ten years to learn to be patient with the hobby, and I'm grateful I learned to do it before I started a SW tank. Because having to do it over, especially with a reef tank, will hurt. Don't let hubris be your downfall. Please consider what we are saying, go slow, RESEARCH, and come to us with intelligent questions, and you will get all the help you need.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

If i can put my 2 cents in! BUC09 i hear you on the small 10gal, i wouldn't go with it, but just like your brothers wife, i have a friend who has 2 small 10gals with LR and a filter, and he has about 3 corals in there with 3 percs and some shrimp. How does he do it ?? i dunno, but he even has a 5gal with 3 damsels!!! But in my opinion his fishes have spent the last 2 years suffering. Even though they are alive, they are not as active as the fish i have in my 29gal. PLUS i think a bigger tank is MUCH MUCH prettier than a small crowded tank!

So if you REALLY want a small tank, which is cool, INVEST the $$ on this
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...7&N=2004+62760

Leo

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com