$$$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buc09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey ya'll... im up to about $120 dollar.. anyone here no were i can buy a tank around this price? and how big it would be?? plz help...
or do you suggest i buy a tank and a filter with this money..

I cannot answer your questions, but i can offer a suggestion...
http://freecycle.org/
look and see what groups are close to you...many people offer their stuff rather than throw it out

just got back from the lfs.... saw this teennyy tinny tank i loved it .. 10 gallon it was only 8.99?! so i think i will return tom and buy it!! now my question to you guys is what filter i should put into this 10 gallon... also what else will i need as equipment .. please explain to me as if i were a baby kuz i do not understand all these names you guys use... i wannt a nano reef by the way!

IMO I would not do a 10 gallon tank. I would go bigger because the smaller the tank the less forgiving it will be to mistakes and problems. More water volume. Also IMO I believe bigger tanks should be started by beginners and small tanks after which will put some experience under your belt before going nano. JMO

Bigger is better when you're starting out. If you don't understand what they're talking about then you're probably not ready for a nano reef. Going into it without knowing anything about tank maintenance will cost you a ton of money in the long run, not to mention a lot of disappointment. At least give yourself some more time to do research before you start buying.
I could not possibly imagine setting up a reef tank from scratch with just $120. You could *maybe* do a fish-only or fish only with live rock. A freshwater setup could be done pretty easily with that kind of money though.

But here's a list for a 10g fish-only, at a minimum:
Tank w/canopy and light hood (no stand necessary. a sturdy table will be ok) ($30 with the top)
Bag of aragonite sand ($25)
Salt Mix ($10), distilled water (2.00/gal) and hydrometer ($8 ) (your LFS may have RO/DI and/or pre-mixed salt water)
Master Liquid Reagent Test Kit ($20)
Protein Skimmer and/or filter ($120 for skimmer)
50watt heater ($15)
So you're already at $220 here.

To go reef, you'll also need:
20-30 lbs live rock (usually $7.00/lb)
For most corals, you'll need to upgrade your lighting to at least 3 watts/gallon - the lights that come with a tank are usually about half that. (my 3.2wpg compact flourescent lights were $60)
So a reef would be about $400, at least

Did I miss anything? I just recently set up a reef myself so there might be something I'm forgetting

Keep in mind also that SW fish and corals can be relatively expensive as well. Also, your fish choices would be limited:
Nano fish

expierience i have... i accumalated my own list of prices.. that 120 is just to start off with...

-tank 8.99
-glass cover 15.99
-light like you sed was also 60$
-the water at my LFS is .50 a gallon
-i have the test kit wich test nitrites nitrates ph and amonia..not shure if thats the one u were talking about
-question on the filter slash protien skilter... isnt a filter fine? ... orr how about the skilter 400 or something like that?
-sand 10lb 16.99
-also with the heater... i previously did not have a heater in my big tank? why is this necesary

buc09 said:
expierience i have... i accumalated my own list of prices.. that 120 is just to start off with...

-i have the test kit wich test nitrites nitrates ph and amonia..not shure if thats the one u were talking about
-question on the filter slash protien skilter... isnt a filter fine? ... orr how about the skilter 400 or something like that?
-sand 10lb 16.99
-also with the heater... i previously did not have a heater in my big tank? why is this necesary

Experience you say you have here, but before said you needed us to explain it to you like a baby....
Skilter isn't going to be fine. Skilter is junk. If you want a reef, you don't want a filter. At all. You want a pure, high quality skimmer and maybe a sump.
Reef or FO/FOWLR needs to be about 80F. Unless you can keep your house at that temp, you need a heater.

You will regret starting out with a 10 gallon. I have a 10 gallon, and experience with larger SW tanks, and I struggle with it.

EDIT: Sorry for being harsh. I just get bothered when people come and ask for advice, get good, honest answers and flat out ignore them. Why ask? Why get people to spend their time typing and answering your questions if you are going to ignore them?

first of all RELAX!!!! ive had 75 gallon when i was a kid. things are al ittle diferent from when i was a kid. I really dont remember much. i have been reasing around fro a while now. Honestly, if it really bothers you that much then dont waste your time responding. I will then get a heatter and a skimmer .. anyoen have any expierence with buying one on ebay

buc09 said:

Seriously? If you don't know why you need a heater, don't get a reef tank at all.

First of all you posted a question. And others answered. When you post a question anybody has the right to answer in their experience. It is up to you to decide if you want to accept it or not. So my suggestion to you would be for you to relax and appreciate the good advice that catdrool gave you as well as others on this subject. We are interested in helping you out and experience of others can not be discounted but still it`s up to you.

buc09 said:
also with the heater... i previously did not have a heater in my big tank? why is this necesary

The answer to your question is that the bigger your water volume the more stable your temps are. I have a 125 gallon tank that has a heater but it rarely runs because the large volume of water stays pretty stable. 10 gallons on the other hand will need a heater quite often because of the small water volume temps will fluctuate. HTH

thank you... i will add that to my list of things to do...
do the LFS have these heaters....

also i do not need to buy everything at the same time at first all i need is the filter tank water and sandcorrect while it cycles

yes the lfs sells heaters. They are around $15-$20.

You also need 15 to 20 lbs of lr to cycle your tank. Do not add any fish until the cycle is complete.

If you get cheap equipment, you get what you pay for. So I suggest you spend some extra $ on equipment so you don't have problems later on.

The lr itself will be your $120.

As Lance said you will need the LR also. You can cycle your tank and cure your LR at the same time. Good Luck.

I have to say that these people on this forum have helped me tremendously...I had researched lots before I took the plunge..I have had FW for many years but different ball game here...the best advice I can give you is to get the best equipment that you possibly can afford. If it means saving for another month then so be it..time flys. You will not be disappointed..SW is not something to skimp on for sure...and the 2nd most important thing is to ask lots of questions and appreciate the advice these guys give you because they know their stuff..they are not getting paid to help people like you and I and its our job to listen and not get defensive when people are trying to help us...and the 3rd most important thing is to have fun because this is the neatest adventure that Ihave been on in a longtime.

Grim

i dont no if this is correct... but you guys suggest this skimmer for the tank.. i just think its gunna be a little to big? and stand out on a 10 gallon tank.... anyone hear of thiss one? New 2007 Model Odyssea PS75 HOB SUMP Protein Skimmer*..
thank you for the help...
should be getting the tank monday with the skimmer live sand and some live rock... lighting will be bought wen cycle is close to over? .. is that ok and ...

i also read another article in this section about purple up.. is that ok to put in the tank as its cycling and then stop and test the water and maybe giv it a week off before adding fish or anything else to the tankkk

...one last thing if i get this skimmer do i need a filter?

buc09 said:
i also read another article in this section about purple up.. is that ok to put in the tank as its cycling and then stop and test the water and maybe giv it a week off before adding fish or anything else to the tankkk

There is absolutely no reason to add this to your tank during the cycle. After the cycle PWC`s will do what you need most likely. Additives will be hard on a tank of that size.

buc09 said:
i dont no if this is correct... but you guys suggest this skimmer for the tank.. i just think its gunna be a little to big? and stand out on a 10 gallon tank.... anyone hear of thiss one? New 2007 Model Odyssea PS75 HOB SUMP Protein Skimmer*..
thank you for the help...

If you are bound and determined to do a 10 gallon, skip the skimmer and filter idea altogether, buy more liferock...20 lbs or so, and lots of salt. You will be doing a minimum of 2 25% H2O changes per week. I know this because I run a 10 gallon nano. There really isn't a skimmer on the market suitable for a tank that size.
The odyessa skimmers are crap. Spend less that $75 on a skimmer and you will likely throw it out the window in a week.

Again, for the 9th time, i as with the other members encourage you to save up and buy a larger tank.

buc09 said:
should be getting the tank monday with the skimmer live sand and some live rock... lighting will be bought wen cycle is close to over? .. is that ok and ...

Yes and no. From your rush to do all of this, and your determination to fight good advice, i encourage you to wait to buy your live rock until you have your lighting and all equipment you need.

Yes, technically you could cycle without lights, but if you have anything you want to live on the rocks other than bacteria (coralline algae, sponges, hitchhikers, corals) you need lights to keep them alive, if they survive the cycle.

buc09 said:

No. not ok. You need test kits and a full understanding of what your water needs and doesn't need before you go dumping additives willy nilly. Purple up adds calcium and magnesium and alters your KH, GH and PH. Make sure you understand these concepts and what the parameters for each should be before dumping them in your tank.

Many think Purple Up is snake oil anyway. I'd be among that group.

buc09 said:
...one last thing if i get this skimmer do i need a filter?

See my answer about your skimmer choice. The reason we pressed you on a skimmer was in hopes you would listen to countless suggestions to go with a larger tank (30+ gallons minimum). If you must do only 10 gallons because you don't want to wait enough to save up money, you might consider getting an aqua clear filter and modifying it for a refugium. Otherwise count on quality live rock to filter your water, along with a diligent schedule of water changes, 2-3 x per week at 10-25% volume.

You are also going to need at least one quality powerhead suitable for a small tank, preferably 2

lol.. i feeel bad for saying this but now im really getting lost...

for starts im gunan put a list of what i no i need and what i think i need... can u guys fill me in with some names of the actuall products so i can search around..

10 gallon tank
live sand
water
lighting and rocks

now for what im not shure about is the skimmer i no you said i do not need it but then what will i need you are confusing me a little sorry for this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom