a big reason small reefs aren't so great...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am not an expert. I am not even an intermediate. I am on my third sw tank.

This 10 gal reeflet I have was born of necessity, not of will. I had a bigger tank, a 40 breeder...with a sump and a fancy schmancy skimmer. It was nice.

It was born a few weeks after my first 20 gallon. Because i quickly realized that 20 was far too small for what i really wanted. And the 20 asploded. That didn't help either.

Anyway, I went on a 2 day jaunt, came back and 90% of my 40 gallon reef was dead. Survivors? An orange dart firefish, a frogspawn, 3 mushrooms, a condy and 2 pink skunk clowns. Lost a lot of corals and livestock. I cried very hard. While I was crying, I quickly set up my 10 gal hospital/QT tank for the survivors until I could figure out what to do.

They have been there ever since. And I turned that little 10 gallon into the happiest home I could for them.

Until today.

For the 6+ months that 10 gallon has been happy, for all the water changes, and careful testing, days a condy anemone has been home to that surviving pair of pink skunks. And everyone was relatively happy. I even added a few more corals, and a shrimp and a starfish. Things had been well. The condy had a happy little spot behind a chunk of rock.

Today, that condy decided to take a gander around the tank. For the first time in 6 months, he decided to move. After knocking over 3 mushroom rocks, and stinging all the GSP, he found himself in quite a quandry. Stuck half inside the filter intake.

I don't know how long he was like that. I got home from work and saw what happened. I panicked. I pulled the filter apart in a hurry (A modified AC refugium), and cut the intake apart to see if i could save him. In doing this, all the schmutz and schmelm in the intake tube and filter bottom decided to dislodge itself into the tank. The anemone is still alive, but badly hurt. I know he won't make it. He has been moved out of the tank into yet another hospital, this time a 5 gallon with some clean SW, in hopes he will live. I doubt it.

My 10 gallon is fouled up. The water has schmutz floating all over in it and is cloudy. The fish are in panic. The corals have shriveled. I changed 50% of the water, and put some floss and carbon in the filter. Turned off the lights.

That is all I can do now. And pray it makes it through the night.

For the lesson: A 40, 55, 70, 100 gallon tank would have had this happen, and a small waterchange later, all would be right with the world again. A 10 gallon? This is catastrophe. I highly doubt the tank will be viable. I don't know if it is better to move the fish and corals ot the 5 gallon QT with the damaged and likely dying anemone or hope they survive the trauma and filth in their tank. Either is risky.

This is why small reefs are infintesimally harder than large ones. This is why we encourage new reefers to get a bigger tank. Because this much polution would be easy for a larger tank to handle. But for this little 10 gal? =*( I am so sad right now.

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that!!! AS for the condy don't give up hope! I had one and it went into the pump 2 different times and came back bigger then ever. I have since sold it as I got tired of seeing it moving around my tank and stinging other corals. It sounds as though you have done all you can do. One thing I have learned about the animals we keep is that they are more resilliant then we sometimes give them credit for. I hope all turns out ok!!

Well, the residents survived the night. Even the anemone was full this morning. The main tank was not restored for financial reasons at the time. I simply could not afford to restore it to it's previous state, or even a likeness of which. The residents that survived were very few and at the time, moved to the 10 gallon. Other issues came up at that time, where I had no resources to even try to restore the 40, and the 10 fit what did survive. Over time, I was able to invest in only 2 more corals, a shrimp and a starfish. For what was still around, i could not justify setting up the 40 again. Also time was a constraint. By the time I could set the 40 back up, the previously live rock was dry base rock. The previously live sand was dead sand.

I could have set it back up eventually, but by the time I could, the 10 was well established and everyone in there was at home. I did not want to re-traumatize them.

WOW! That is quite a story! It sounds like you are doing your best. Hang in there and your own personal experiences (although sad) will surley help folks in the future.
Hang in there!

Sorry to hear about your experience. You might want to think about removing the anenome though. In a 10 gallon tank he is bound to wreak more havoc.

An update:

so far, everything has survived the fiasco. The anemone even, which suprises me most. I moved him back to the clowns home last night.

The frogspawn isn't real happy, but still hanging tough. I think after the water change tomorrow, things will be back to normal (I hope.)

Someone needs to invent anenome corrals.

Glad to hear things are improving.

I didn't think condylactus hosted any clown species.

squawkbert said:
I didn't think condylactus hosted any clown species.
Not in nature, they are from different areas of the world, but clowns will be clowns....

WOW that sucks glad to hear every thing is pulling out of it ...
But that is not a reason not to have a nano just reason to avoid anenomes in tanks under 75 gallons IMHHO:)

Back
Top Bottom