Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank you all for the advice! And my daughter is doing great. Thanks!

I have a heater running already. I also have I uv filter that I got with the tank. When do you start using those? I read not to when you are cycling.

With adding ammonia. I ended up with a couple hermit crabs in my live rock. Would it hurt them?

Jayelmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
Considering its been over a month an you have no amonia I think you're alright. Do a big water change to lower your nitrates and then you should be ok to add a fish. Having nitrates at 80 could stress the fish out though, you want to have them at 0 but having them in the 5 range is normal for most and should be fine. If you want to be patient I'd do like 20% water change then wait a couple of days and do it again until you've removed the nitrates. If you want to see a freakin fish in that thing I'd hit a 50% change and wait a day then go get my first fish. Option one is best, option 2 you're rolling the dice and could end up having to go get a new fish in a week or so...lol Good things come to those who wait in the salt water world.

Animal-Chin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com