Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks, ya.. I didnt add extra rock. I already had rock that had bacteria from my old cycle. So I just lifted it out of the tank for a total of about 5 minutes while I swapped the gravel for sand.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #22

Ok, I found the API test kit for nitrite, nitrate, PH and amonia. So, looks like my nitrite went back up...but just a little it reads .25 but my ammonia is thankfully at 0. Now, it seems like my pH keeps dropping. I bought a buffer that corrects it but the correction doesnt seem to last more than a few hours. I believe a water change will help my ph problem correct ? But if so.. I still have nitrite which means I need to keep cycling a little longer. should I do a water change anyway ? Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #23
Thanx but no.....

What is the PH reading? This is where it will start to grate on your nerves because we'll be asking for readings for kits you didn't get.. Ca, Kh, Alk.. That have an effect on PH or better said work in conjunction when determining PH.

So to start, what is the PH reading.. when did you take it? morning, night, lights on,light off, etc.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

pH will normally fluctuate a bit during your cycle. Tracking it during your cycle is kind of like beating your head against the wall. Definitely don't add anymore buffer during cycling as that will skew your water chemistry when you finally do get done cycling. pH changes with changes in biological activity in your tank, and during a cycle there's a lot of that going on.

Agree with CaptainAhab's questions though... how low is low.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
When you test pH, you want to test around the same time each day, as it will drop after lights out and slowly rise after lights on.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #26

Thanks. I actually bought the test kit when I made the post. I found it for $25 at a lfs. It s been fluctuating between 7.8 and 8.4
Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Are you testing at the same time each day?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com