A couple of questions from a Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bwlker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone tell me what a top off switch does? Is this the same thing as a switch that will shut off the pump is the water level gets to high or to low (is there such a thing) do I need one for my reef system?

Also, I just completed the set up of my first aquarium and didn't give any thought as to the weight of the tank. It is a 125 gallon tank. I estimate the weight to be about 1600 pounds over an area of 8 square feet. Which equates roughly to 200 pounds per square foot. This doesn't sound bad to me. Can anyone confirm this or do I have to do something to give the floor extra support. This is not on a concrete floor.

top off switch allows water to be added to the sump to whatever level ya want it to be !! can be fed by gravity or ro/unit :)
put a marble on the floor in front of the tank does it roll into it ? if so id think ya might want someone to look into it :)

I'm not sure the marble test will work. My floor is carpeted. I check the ceiling below and so far not cracked plaster. I hope this is a good sign.

Thanks for the answer on the Top off.

Go down stairs with a long and straight level or 2 x 4 (as long as you know it's straight), and place it one the ceiling where the tank is, if there is any bowing or flexing of the joists you shoudl see it, that being said , if this is an older house and actually has plaster then there will be a bit of "unevenness" (if thats a word, lol) to the ceiling anyway. HTH

Thanks for the advise I'll try that. I see that there are quite a few people with larger tanks. What are others finding, have they had to support the floors?

I am putting in a 120 gallon tank and I have installed two "jack stands" in the basement under the tank. I'm not sure I needed to but I am the worrying type!

I thought of that and it could be done easily. I was going to have this done in the meantime if I didn't get a better solution. I think this is probably the best idea. So far I haven't notice any problems downstairs but you just never know.

Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom