A dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barney

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wondering when can I add cleaners or clean up crews to my cycling tank? I have brown algae bloom. My LFS told me I could add cleaners anytime. Before I do this, I wanted to check with others like you before I do something silly by wasting money.

55 gal
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrate 10 ppm
nitrite 1.0ppm
temp 80
salinity 1.024
ph 7.8

I would wait until there is no ammonia (already there) and no nitrite. If your going to use hermits, they are probably OK to add now, but I would still wait.

I would say add hermits and snails when I initially setup the tank. The brown algae on the sand and everywhere else usually goes hand and hand with high Nitrite levels. If you had snails and hermits they would help the cycle to happen faster by consuming the algae. However it is to risky to add them at this point because they may not acclimate well to the high Nittrite levels. So, I would have to agree with Kevin at this point.

It's always worth the wait though. In the meantime I would probably buffer up that low ph level to around 8.3.

:band:

I've been trying to figure out how to raise the ph without chemicals. The water around here has ph of about 7.8, even at LFS. At first I thought it was the cycling that effected the ph.

I've been trying to figure out how to raise the ph without chemicals. The water around here has ph of about 7.8, even at LFS. At first I thought it was the cycling that effected the ph.
Do you mean your SW has a pH of 7.8? What is your alkalinity? Sounds like it could be low. Adding a pH buffer will raise your pH and alklinity which will help prevent pH swings.
At any rate I wouldn't worry about it until it is through cycling.

Barney said:

You can't. This hobby will be real hard on you if you try to get chemical reactions in your water without using chemicals.

If its the tapwater that you are talking about 7.8 is fine. It means you have hard water and that it will be easy to bring on up to the right ph. You need to raise the alkalinity (Kh) to a degree range of 9 to 12 dKh. I reccomend Kh Plus by SERA or Reef Builder by SEACHEM. This will allow the water to reach its potential ph (8.3). If the water at your LFS, from there saltwater tanks, has a ph of 7.8 they are either lazy or don't know what they are doing at all. If you have any questions just give me a buzz.

Now is a good time for you to practice this kind of stuff before you get fish/corals. :onfire:

Really appreciate the help I am getting. Honestly I been thinking of relocating back to Fla. one day soon. I use have a SW tank and it was easy. Water there had a higher ph, easier to use compared to water way up north here. Plus the LFS around here really stinks. You are right they are lazy, plus the things they recommend has driven me into insanity of knowing who is right.

Guess what, I had my water tested today. They asked me how many fishes I had. I told them 3. They said I need to add more to maintain the biological filteration that is going on and if I dont, I am wasting money setting up my tank.

Sound corny?
Why would a LFS do this, end up abusing the situation and cause someone to lose interest in maintaining a aquarium?

55 gal
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrate ~12 ppm
nitrite 1.0ppm
temp 80
salinity 1.024
ph 7.8

I am sorry to here that they would recommend something like that. I worked as a sales representative at a store and we never did anything like that to incourage exsessive spending. I always found it was easier to help them really understand and then get them "hooked" on the hobby.

In this hobby you really have to "fin" for your self these days. It's best to read up on your own time. There exist a vast library of literature on this hobby no matter which way you want to go. This way when you walk in to the store you know what you need and why and you don't have to waste time listening to those idiot blabber mouths that just want to push it all on you.

You'll get to the point where you plan everything out from start to finish.

If you would like take a look at my photo albums. You can see what careful planning and lots of reading will accomplish.

Good luck with your 55. I hope it cycles smoothly. Just be patient. :eyes:

1. 46 Bowfront Mini Reef

2. 46 Bowfront Lighting upgrade

3. 55Gallon African Cichlid Tank

:onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Joshua, Just wanted to tell ya I edited yoru post to you did not have three mile long URLS. ;)

I am sorry to here that they would recommend something like that. I worked as a sales representative at a store and we never did anything like that to incourage exsessive spending. I always found it was easier to help them really understand and then get them "hooked" on the hobby.

This is how I have found most of my LFS in Florida. I kinda miss that. Yeah I do my reading and researching, but I like to see what others have to say. This give me an angle to work from pending area of expertise and opinions... Like I said, this forum is appreciated...

Just to add my own little comment, your questions were not dumb. Everyone has to start somewhere and if you dont ask questions, youll never learn.

Back
Top Bottom