A few dumb powerhead questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to figure out the type and number of powerheads I am going to need for my 90-gallon tank with dimensions 48x13x33 inches. I am planning on it being a reef tank with a few fish. From my research I get the idea that I will need about 20-30X the tank volume for SPS corals when the time comes.

My questions are, can I assume that the movement volumes added together come up with that number? Does the return pump flow volume from the sump play into this number? (For 2700gph, does the 1100 gph at the head at this height mean I only need 1600 more?) How do I determine placement of the pumps?

Flow is flow regardless of where it comes from, so yes, the return from the sump counts. Add two more power heads and either face them at each other, or put them on the back wall pointing at the front center wall, or crossing (X pattern).

Make sure you get a rippled surface across the the tank surface.

If you have 1100gph coming into the tank with the return pump, I would still suggest 2 x 1400or so gph power heads inside the tank.
you add them all together, but 20 x the tank volume is only 1800 gph. That's no where near enough for sps. Even 30 x seems a bit weak to me.

I'd say 2 koralia 1450's in the back and a koralia 750 in the back. You've got a 110g tank btw :)

Pretty sure that's the dimensions of 90 gallon tank. Go with Doug's suggestionf of 2 of the Koralia 1450's

I've got a 1400 and 950 running in my 90 and to be honest it's not enough. lol

The 2 1400's should be a good start though. :)

cmor1701d said:
Pretty sure that's the dimensions of 90 gallon tank. Go with Doug's suggestionf of 2 of the Koralia 1450's

Oops thought it said 48x18x30.....I should put on my reading glasses lol

I'm at 2650 in my 54 gallon and I don't think it is enough. I just upgraded so it will be at times over 4000gph

I have a question.. I have an 8 gallon biocube. It only comes with the standard tank pump. So far I have zoanthids and some button polyps (may be the same thing, they look different tho lol) and an ocellaris clownfish. Do I need a powerhead? Im thinking I do..maybe a pico?

You can add one if you like. :) Extra water circulation is never a bad thing. lol A pico pump would be good I think.

BabyDee17 said:
I have a question.. I have an 8 gallon biocube. It only comes with the standard tank pump. So far I have zoanthids and some button polyps (may be the same thing, they look different tho lol) and an ocellaris clownfish. Do I need a powerhead? Im thinking I do..maybe a pico?

A pump around 200GPH would be good.

Thanks Carey:) once I get some money, Ill go buy one. Saltwater is expensiveee lol

Just kinda jumping in here and not with feedback. But now that I am trying to get a 55 up and running and wondering what all I need to upgrade from my 36...A sticky thread in the getting started sub forum with calculations for GPH for flow and one for lighting would be great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom