a few questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotskate

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay well my tank is going to be cycled farely soon and i was wondeirng what should be the nest thing to put in a fish if so which kind a clown sand sifter one tang or what? another piece of coral Anemones or what if i do a clown can i get a Anemones ? or what or more snails and hermits or shrimp or what? mushrooms? or what thanksss

I'd go with a fish that is pretty hardy. Stick with one or possibly two for a week or so. You'll need to add fish slowly to allow the bacteria in the tank to gradually build up with the addition of new animals. You could also throw in a few cleaning crabs/snails if you want, they don't really add to the bio-load

I don't know the time frame but I'd stay away from corals for a while
I also read that you shouldn't put Anemones in a tank untils it's be running successfully for 1 year.

whaT kinda fish one that sifts through the sand or a reg one? and what about a shrimp or feather duster? or sea urchines?

I think most sand sifting fish would eat what lives and there and kill your sandbed. Why not just get a pair of clowns?

I agree with waiting on anenomes and corals. Your tank is still way too young for them.

Shrimp and other inverts are probably okay but I'd add a fish or so first. Patience is key in this hobby trust me I've learned the hard way before I found this forum.

no problemo i think im gonna get 2 nemo :) what are they gona live tho in dont they need like a .... what kiinda food do u think i should get flake pellets etc etc?

hotskate said:
no problemo i think im gonna get 2 nemo :) what are they gona live tho in dont they need like a .... what kiinda food do u think i should get flake pellets etc etc?

Those would be perc clowns. Clowns do NOT need anenomes so dont let any LFS tell you otherwise. Clowns will eat marine flake food, brine shrimp, or other meaty foods sold for marine fish. Make sure the food is not to large for the fish.

Once your tank has cycled (ie no ammonia or nitrite readings) you can get a few fish but dont load the tank up with fish as the tank will still need to mature. Adding to many fish at once will lead to additional ammonia problems.

Thank you i think 2 clowns will be it and just soem more snails and hermits and possibly a shrimp

If you do want corals I think you should stick with soft corals. It doesn't look like you have enough light for the hard corals.

I agree that you should stay away from anemones. In a new tank they will just die fast meaning you will just loose a lot of money. And any captive raised clown fish is not used to them anyway. They will just pick a spot in the live rocks or even a powerhead and make that their spot. Just be careful when adding new fish as these guys can become a little on the territorial side and get aggressive with new fish.

i got 3 damselsnot the agressive ones the green ones and 1 blue one the stripped ones thet said were alot more teritorial and agressive oh i got 1 choclate chip starfish

i wanna eat him lol :lol:

Gobies and blennies are my first recommendations for new (freshly cycled) tanks followed by clowns, with damsels being controversial because of their attitude. Some of the bottom dwelling gobies like the popular watchman and diamond back might be small, but they are very, very hardy and good beginner fish. Tangs, angels and butterflys should be avoided until the tank becomes more mature.

Snails, hermit crabs, and sally lightfoot crabs are good additions for starters. Assuming of course you have algae growing on the rocks.

Shrimp are another matter. Cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp (similiar species) are a bit sensitive to new tanks, especially PH fluctuations. Coral banded shrimp are more hardy in regards to new tank syndrome, but more aggresive towards other shrimp. I've had my resident coral banded survive 3 tanks moves and a few ignorance induced ammonia spikes with no problems. He's getting bold enough and big enough to take chunks of meat from my hand as well.

Most mushrooms, especially the popular blue/green will do fine in your tank and will spread like crazy given a good food source. Place them up towards your lights.

nice thanks for your help i think ill do mushrooms in a few weeks they are cool and relly nice what if i dont want them spreedign all over my tank?

Back
Top Bottom