A few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louiserose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i'm new to all of this and have a few questions if anyone can help me :)

First of all i have two clown fish and they seem to have taken a liking to a certain area on the rock in the tank and they keep rubbing themselves against it and biting at it. They also get really aggressive whenever another fish comes near it. Would i be right in thinking they are preparing to breed?

Secondly i also have two damsels and one has been going to the corner of the tank and fanning the sand with it's tail so that a big hole appears. Is this normal?

I have checked all of the levels for the water and they are coming up fine.

Also, are there any guidlines on how much live rock you should have in the tank and when it's safe to add an anemone? :)

Welcome to AA!

Clowns are silly fish and will clean and rub and make things the way they like them in an area they claim in the tank. This could be a precursor to pairing and then mating but not always. Clowns will typically not breed until they are at least 2 years old. This is normal behavior for clowns though.

What kind of damsel is it?

You want to aim for 1.5 - 2lbs of LR per gallon of water for good filtration.

Hope that helps you out and again welcome to AA!

I'm not sure about the behavior but it could be building a hiding place of sorts. I had a blue velvet damsel that cleared out under a rock and hid there.

the damsel will hide under the lr once the hole is big enough quite normal.if you put your hand into the water towards the rock where the clowns are if they dart towards your hand they have probably laid eggs under the rock and are protecting this area.

I have come to the conclusion that all of our fish are crazy. You should see the yellow one at feeding time!! It has us in stitches every time lol

Back
Top Bottom