Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

A few questions...

I am going to be getting a 29 gallon tank. I was wondering a few things....

Do I need a protein skimmer? (not that I even know what one is)
What kind of filter should I get? Is a power filter ok?
Do I need powerheads? (not that I even know what they are)
How much LR should I put in there?

I plan on adding Yellowtail Damselfish and Clownfish.

Thanks! Marie

Old 10-09-2004, 01:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi, Marie! I feel like someone who's been around longer should say it, but since I'm first on the scene--welcome to AA! I can maybe help a little with your questions--

1) Just about everyone will tell you to get a skimmer, though many do run successful setups without one. There are HOB models and in-sump models--a search will give you all kinds of recommendations. If you want truly FO tank, it may not be necessary.

In my newbie terms : A skimmer is a tube attached to a pump. The pump has a thing in it that makes zillions of little bubbles. The bubbly water is pushed up the tube and during that trip, yucky proteins in the water stick to the bubbles thanks to surface tension. The bubbles carry the yuck (skimmate) into a little cup at the top where it can be tossed every few days and the now-cleaner water is put back into the tank. Okay, someone can give you a much better explanation, I'm sure, but there's my shot.

2) If you've got enough LR and a good skimmer, that's all the filtration you'll need. For the most part people who run mechanical filters use them for circulation and/or charcoal because the various filter media will contibute to nitrate problems. Again, the exception would be a truly FO tank.

3) Probably, a couple. I didn't know what a powerhead is, either, just a few short months ago. It's just a little pump, really, that goes completely under water and sucks water in one end and spits it out the other. It can be used to run things, like a UG filter, but in SW tanks they are used mostly to circulate water in the tank (or mix fresh SW).

4) 1-2 lbs per gallon is the usual recommendation.

A couple of great books that I would really recommend:
Paletta, The New Marine Aquarium
Fenner, The Conscientious Aquarist

Both offer a good overview of the hobby.

HTH!

Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for your help!!! I think I do want a FO tank. Can I get a power filter? I think with my budget that would be the best. If that will not work I could get whatever you reccomend. Also what kind of stuff could I out in there for them to hide? Fake plants? Anything else? Thanks again.

Marie

15 (2 Bronze Corys, 4 Albino Corys, Black Molly)

30 (Breeder) (Blood Parrot, 1 Tiger Barbs, 3 Clown Loaches)

Pictures of my tanks
mayreee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
If that will not work I could get whatever you reccomend
Don't base your decisions only on what I say! I'm as new to SW as they come.

People do run tanks with cannister or HOB filters like the kind that are used in FW. The problem with filters like that is they can contribute to nitrate problems; in a FO tank, that's not so much of an issue. As soon as you get any inverts, corals, etc, it becomes a much bigger deal. And I think that most people who start SW get the reef bug eventully, even if they don't think they will at first. It's kinda addictive.

So . . . I'll give you my 2 cents and hope that someone else chimes in with a more experienced opinion. The "problem" with real FO tanks is that they don't have a very natural look . . . gravel, fake plants/corals. Plus, the fish are in a pretty unnatural environment--in the ocean, they live among the reef rocks and they can feel scared and exposed without them. For example, there's a restaurant I go to that has a FO tank--probably about 150 gallons. It's full of fake rock and plastic plants. All but the boldest fish hide all day because they don't feel comfy. Also, the service that takes care of the tank has to swtich the fish out all the time--I don't know if they die or what, but the same fish is seldom in there for more than a couple of months. It's just not an ideal home for them and they get stressed and decline.

That said, if you are really on a budget, these would be my (newbie) suggestions:

Get at least the Paletta book. It's geared toward FOWLR tanks (not full-blown reef tanks) which would give you a good looking tank now and the ability to go more reefy later if you want to. He's got a whole little section on setting up a SW tank on the cheap.

Ideally, you'd get about 45-60 lbs of LR, but you could also get a 20lb box from LR.com (or another source) and use base rock for the rest--it will, in time, become "live" enough to serve as a bio-filter.

I would get a skimmer, the best you can afford. From everything I can tell, it's the single most important piece of equipment in a SW tank, especially for beginners.

I hope someone else will pop in here and help us out with more suggestions--
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 29 gal and I am running a power filter on it with a built in protein Skimmer ; Skilter 250. Its not bad it does the job for me. Even if you go FO, a power hear for water flow, it will help if you get LR.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your gonna get the Reef bug.

Just keep that in mind

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks all. I am starting to not feel so overwhelmed the more I learn

15 (2 Bronze Corys, 4 Albino Corys, Black Molly)

30 (Breeder) (Blood Parrot, 1 Tiger Barbs, 3 Clown Loaches)

Pictures of my tanks
mayreee is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com