Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Pleco Send a message via Yahoo to Pleco
A few questions

Hello, I came from the SW world and had a 250 gallon SW reef setup that i had to sell before moving long distance.

I am now a bit more settled in my new location and decided to start a new tank, this time freshwater Boy am i noticing the differences :P

So on to my questions,

My 40 Gallon tank (Tall) is fully cycled and i current have it stocked with these fish

8 Beacon Tetras
8 Neon Tetras
2 Dwarf blue gouramis
1 Australian Rainbow Fish
1 Golden Nugget Pleco

Am i running it overstocked? The fish seem to have their space to roam without hitting each other, and have settled to their "territories" from what i can tell.

I picked the golden nugget because honestly i fell in love with it when i saw him at the LFS, is 6" (his max grow size from the sites ive seen) going to be ok in the long haul for this sized tank? I figure my two largest fish will be the australian and the GN Pleco.

How often should water changes be done, i was thinking around 20% every other week but i am not sure if that would be sufficient.

I have a Eclipse 3 filtration system, hood integrated with lighting. I notice that it seems to overflow a little from the filter chamber to the biowheel chamber, i called Marineland and they told me to replace the filter media. I just replaced it 2 weeks ago i find it hard to believe that i would have to replace the media every 2 weeks. Any suggestions? The filter seems to be doing a great job, but i just noticed the slight overflow last night.

Thanks again!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to imrandome1
WELCOME TO AA!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, personally i dont think you are over stocked, as far as the pleco it should be ok, but dont count me on that, btw dont add anymore fish lol. As for water changes i would increase it to perhaps 40% i do 50% every week, if that, i dont now about the filter so i cant help you there, welcome to AA anyway

Old 07-20-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I think your tank is nicely stocked. Only thing I can see is that rainbow fish are schoolers.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #4

I think your stocking is perfect as far as bio load. As far as water changes. I do a 20-25% PWC every Saturday. I prefer to do it once a week at a smaller amount than a larger amount every two weeks. Say you were having a problem with your water parameters and you don't know because you have not tested in 2 weeks. Doing a PWC once a week will reduce the chances of whatever may be wrong, building up to a dangerous level for the fish. Just MO, Good Luck and welcome to AA!!!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you for all the comments

I did a 50% water change today, oddly the water still seems a bit hazy. Maybe "crystal clear" is a pipe dream, but i swear its either a ton of little bubbles with light reflecting off of them or it almost looks like dust. My trusty master kit readings are all good.

It isnt really bad, just a slight haze that you can see more from the side or looking up toward the light. Maybe a bacteria bloom that will clear itself up. Or it could just be that the refill portion kicked up particles and they just have to settle Ive debated using these aqua clear drops that one of my co-workers gave me but im a bit freaked to use it on a 4 week old environment.

I cant see having a tank larger than 20 gallons without owning a python.. wow is all i have to say When i had my reef environment i hired someone to come out weekly and maintain it, this time i want to do it all, its more fun and afterall they are my pets
Old 07-21-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Keep an eye on the gold nugget....I got one several weeks ago and he died yesterday. Upon further reading I've found they aren't as hardy as a lot of the other plecos. They like natural driftwood to nibble on which I did not have. My pH was in the neighborhood of what most people suggest, but guess my conditions weren't ideal enough. I'd love to try one again sometime, they are really cool looking.

Don't think you're overstocked either, but I agree, don't add more....

Have fun!

125 Gal. African Cichlid Mixed, 75 Gal. Fresh Community, 60 Gal. Fresh Community, 29 Gal. Fresh Community
davidtcb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtcb1
Keep an eye on the gold nugget....I got one several weeks ago and he died yesterday. Upon further reading I've found they aren't as hardy as a lot of the other plecos. They like natural driftwood to nibble on which I did not have.
I may get a small piece for him to chew on, but he seems to be doing fine. Very lively, loves the Hikari Algae wafers, and eats whatever is left of the food from the bottom. I gave him a cave to hide in, apparently they get stressed very easily and need a dark hole to climb in to. I sure hope he lasts, i really like the Golden Nugget, he seems very active and lively now, but i keep a close eye on all my fish

Try again, they are beautiful for being bottom dwellers
Old 07-21-2006, 01:10 AM   #8

Hazy

If the tank is only 4 weeks old, I can almost(key almost) promise that it will clear up.

I have had new tanks that were a little hazy although the cycle was complete and than BOOM, one day you will wake up and it will be clear.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mine never took to algae wafers...I do want to try again however. Mine seemed great too for weeks then just went south a couple days ago. Let me know how your progresses.

125 Gal. African Cichlid Mixed, 75 Gal. Fresh Community, 60 Gal. Fresh Community, 29 Gal. Fresh Community
davidtcb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtcb1
Mine never took to algae wafers...I do want to try again however. Mine seemed great too for weeks then just went south a couple days ago. Let me know how your progresses.
Mine LOVES the Hikari Algae wafers, maybe he was sick? I'm sorry for your loss, ill keep you updated on his progress

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com