a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have had my tank up for a year or so and want to step up abit. Its a 29 gallon tank same as I bought it and have a few things in the tank 2 Yellow-Damsils, a Starfish, one Coral Branded Shrimp and, three peices of live rock. I want to put protian skimmer in the tank, and I have for a ground cover a small rock cover and was wondering if i could clean it and just put a lair of sand over it instead of replacing all of the rock. And some more rocks and be done. Also is there a way to help keep the algea from the tank and the salt line from the side of the tank.

(Sorry if there are any misspelled words)

Sand Layer: What benifits are you looking for out of the sand? If it's just for appearance, then a thin layer over the gravel is ok, but you won't get the benifits of live sand if the gravel keeps detrivores from crawling around in there.

Algae: Nutrient control is usually the best way to keep algae in check. Could you post your water parameters? Feeding schedule?

Salt Line: Not too much to be done about salt creep. Every time there's a little splash and saltwater gets above the water line, there's a good chance of the water evaporating and leaving salt behind. Wenever you do a water change, wipe all the equiptment down with an aquarium sponge to keep the buildup from getting extreme. A sump setup can keep the water level contant and help a little with salt lines, but you're still going to have some due to water currents and all the random things that cause splashes.

Back
Top Bottom