A Few Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noone

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, my new tank has cycled and everyone has move over to their new home. So far, they are enjoying all of the space! I do have some questions though.

1) What should I have for a cleanup crew? The tank is 29 gallons, but is rather compact. I wouldn't want any big, humongous snails or anything like that in there.

2) What should my lighting schedule be? I believe that is has one 24 watt 50/50 bulb, one 24 watt actinic bulb, and the lunar lights. (Don't hold me to that, I will have to check the box.)

3)What kind of corals would I be able to keep if that is the correct type of lighting?

Thanks!

noone said:
Well, my new tank has cycled and everyone has move over to their new home. So far, they are enjoying all of the space! I do have some questions though.

1) What should I have for a cleanup crew? The tank is 29 gallons, but is rather compact. I wouldn't want any big, humongous snails or anything like that in there.

Not sure what your definition of "big" is, but the standard cleanup crew snails aren't really big in my book. The trochus (my favorite!) can get rather large, but will take a long time. Trochus and astreas will keep your glass and rockwork clean; nasarrius snails will keep your sand been stirred and clean. You want snails... you really do! I'm not too good with quantities, but I'd say start small - maybe 6-8 or so? You can always add more if they end up not being able to keep up.

Crabs... well... I'm still undecided whether I like mine or not. Now that I've got some LPS corals, I keep an eye on them. Sometimes they take the short way down off my rocks to the sandbed (via falling) and come rather close to some things I'd rather not have them fall on. But they DO keep the place pretty tidy. With zero nitrates, I'm not about to change anything. But if I had to do it over again, knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would've got any. Maybe get one... maybe two... and see what you think.

2) What should my lighting schedule be? I believe that is has one 24 watt 50/50 bulb, one 24 watt actinic bulb, and the lunar lights. (Don't hold me to that, I will have to check the box.)

It can be really whatever you'd like it to be. Most folks run their main lights (white/actinic) for 8-12 hours. Some cycle on their actinics first, to simulate a "dawn" and do the opposite at night to simulate "dusk." The longer you leave your lights on, the more chance you may have algae issues.

There's no harm in leaving the lunar lights on all the time, but some cycle them on when their main lights go off... or just before.

3)What kind of corals would I be able to keep if that is the correct type of lighting?

Not sure what system you have there, but that lighting seems a little on the weak side. Better double check that. BUT... if it is correct you've got just a little over 1.5 watts/gallon. While the watt/gallon ratio isn't at all scientific for judging what corals you can keep, it's a rough starting point. At those levels, you aren't going to be able to keep much - maybe some mushrooms. Check out this "low light coral" page...

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database...ords=low&ordercolumn=2text&orderdirection=asc

The other thing that will effect your lighting is the depth of the tank. Your lighting over a 12" deep tank versus a 24" deep tank (just for example) would give very different results. Not sure what configuration your 29g is.

Glad your fish are happier. What all do you have in it? (You might fill out your "My Info" section with your updated tank info!)

Hey thanks! That gives me an idea of what to purchase. I was way off about the lighting. It actually has one 36 watt True Actinic, one 36 watt 10,000 k, and the lunar lights. How would this change my coral selections?

That would still be considered "low light" as far as coral selection goes. Much better then the original wattage estimate but not enough to be considered moderate lighting.

Really? The tank's is an Oceanic BioCube and its dimensions are 20"l x 20.75"w x 19.25"h. Would that change anything since the light doesn't have as far to travel to the bottom?

A question I forgot to ask last night: The third filter chamber had the bio balls in it which I removed. I was going to break the LR from my old tank and put it back here. (Any good rock breaking techniques?) The problem is, it is covered with green hair algae. (This is one of the reasons I setup a new tank from scratch!) How would I prevent the algae from transferring to the new tank? Would scrubbing it off be enough, or would I have to leave it out in the sun and re-cure it? Thanks yet again!

I would scrub it really good and as far as breaking it get a hammer and towel and wrap the rock up and hit it with the hammer and the rock will stay in the towel.

noone said:
Really? The tank's is an Oceanic BioCube and its dimensions are 20"l x 20.75"w x 19.25"h. Would that change anything since the light doesn't have as far to travel to the bottom?

Nope... not really. Those cube tanks are normally taller than normal tanks of the same volume. I'm guessing a normal 29g is actually shorter than yours.

I'm not familiar with the Oceanic cube, but I know some of the other cubes have two options for lighting - one for fish only, the other for reefs. You could probably try some zoanthids or other soft corals, as long as they're located in the top 1/3 of your tank or so. Just guessing here... so someone correct me if I'm off.

I was guessing you got your wattage wrong in that first post, but 72W still kind of surprises me from Oceanic.

Back
Top Bottom