A Few Questions For A Newbie At Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

basket440

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I had a couple specific questions and I'm getting different answers from different websites so I thought I would seek help from actual people.
-First, can I add inverts with fish, I know there are some fish that eat them but generally is this ok to do?

-Second, how many fish can I add at one time and how long do I have to wait before adding more. I heard 1 or 2 at a time but if they are more hardy smaller fish (such as damsels or clowns) can I add more at one time?

-Third, I have a 55 gallon tank and have 40 lbs of live rock i was told this was ok but i have read I should have at least 1 lb per gallon. Is this true or because the rock and sand takes up space I don't need as much?

-Lastly I purchased 2 damsel fish after a week of having the aquarium (I was told they would help with the cycle) a yellow tail blue damsel and a Black-Tailed Dascyllus (or it is a 3 strip damsel I can't really tell) and the blue damsel is great! The other one though will just hide and he has only eaten once in 3 days he normally just hangs out in a cove and only came out once for food. Should I be worried or is this normal, I have read they are shy and need hiding places or they will be aggressive but i would like him to eat.

Thanks for reading this I know its a lot but I need help! :thanks:

Yes you can have inverts with fish. Some fish like triggers, will eat them though. I have various shrimp, crabs, and snails and none have died.

As far as live rock, I think you should really just get as much as you think looks nice. I only have about 60 pounds in a 75g and am content while my 40g has almost 80pounds lol.

You can put in 2-3 fish at the same time really, as long as you've finished cycling, the bacteria should be able to catch up.

Do you have a test kit? If not you should get the API master test kit and stay clear from strip test kits. Adding fish will not help the cycling because you would need to do constant water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite levels down.

I do I have ocean master, its from instant ocean. Its like a power I put in and it changes the color. Which brings up another quest (haha) I tested for ammonia nitrate and nitride and all came up zero. How could this happen or maybe did I just do the test wrong? Tanks been up a little longer than a week with live sand rock (fully cured with stuff growing) and 2 fish. I did one water changed and tested it right after some of the test water did come right after the water came out of the filter maybe thats why? :confused: I'm such a noob at this I don't want something living to suffer due to my error!

Wait, what? Is the testing kit liquid, or are they little paper strips that you dip in and it gives you results?

Wait, what? Is the testing kit liquid, or are they little paper strips that you dip in and it gives you results?

Not the strips I heard they are inaccurate. Its a power i'll provide a link maybe I'm not explaining it right. There are tests that you use liquid instead of the power but its not any of the three dealing with cycling. Instant Ocean Master Test Kit

Yeah it seemed good from what I read. But do you have any idea why all levels would be 0 with 40lbs of cured live rock/sand and fish? I'm so confused.

U started with a 55 like i did lr u don't need as much it just helps the nitrogen cycle the more the better I say second damsels are great starter fish but also start to get really aggressive so keep eyes peeled for that I started with two oscellaris clowns and still have them just in a better tank ur levels u said u checked them after a water change if I read right did u let everything settle before u checked it and there is a possibilty of everything being at zero due to u have so much water and not slot of fish and ur not straining ur system at all which is good I would add some sand sifting starfish and some hermit crabs along with a couple snails once u get algae but the crabs and starfish are a great cleanup crew for food not ate by ur fish hope this helps

U started with a 55 like i did lr u don't need as much it just helps the nitrogen cycle the more the better I say second damsels are great starter fish but also start to get really aggressive so keep eyes peeled for that I started with two oscellaris clowns and still have them just in a better tank ur levels u said u checked them after a water change if I read right did u let everything settle before u checked it and there is a possibilty of everything being at zero due to u have so much water and not slot of fish and ur not straining ur system at all which is good I would add some sand sifting starfish and some hermit crabs along with a couple snails once u get algae but the crabs and starfish are a great cleanup crew for food not ate by ur fish hope this helps

Ok thank you I thought I would have at least some nitrates though (at least if I didn't have ammonia or nitride). Thanks I feel better now, one more question do you think my next addition should be 2 more damsels or 2 clown fish? Thanks for the help again!(y)

Back
Top Bottom