Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2003, 10:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

a few questions from newbie

I am currently setting up a 75 gallon reef here is the link to the picture.
http://userweb.suscom.net/~johnkenyon/lr.jpg

The first question I have Is it a necessity to have a top covering the water? ie. A versatop

In my haste of buying merchandise without being informed I bought a CPR wet/dry filter with included skimmers built in. From what I have been reading on the board, I wish I would of bought just a sump. My question is if I run this should I take out the biomedia?

What is this coming out of the live rock?
http://userweb.suscom.net/~johnkenyon/gs.jpg

Finally, I am extremely happy that I have found this forum I just wish I would of found it about a month ago before I started shelling out the money

Old 05-22-2003, 10:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Re: a few questions from newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiapan
IThe first question I have Is it a necessity to have a top covering the water? ie. A versatop
No, it's actually better to run the tank open top if you can. Some fish are dedicated carpet surfers and have to have a top though. By running the tank open, you will maximize gas exchange at the surface and help keep the temp down. Most reef lighting systems produce a lot of heat and the top will trap the heat in the tank.

Quote:
In my haste of buying merchandise without being informed I bought a CPR wet/dry filter with included skimmers built in. From what I have been reading on the board, I wish I would of bought just a sump. My question is if I run this should I take out the biomedia?
Can you return it? If not, take the biomedia out. It will be a nitrate factory. You can run it to increase flow in the tank. The skimmer should help a lot too.

Quote:
What is this coming out of the live rock?
Looks like feather dusters to me. A type of worm that lives in a calcerous tube and is a filter feeder...they feed on tiny particles from the water.

Quote:
Finally, I am extremely happy that I have found this forum I just wish I would of found it about a month ago before I started shelling out the money
We're glad to have you and encourage you to post any questions you might have. There is a search link on the home page which may prove useful for getting info from old posts. There is, also on the home page, a link to articles which you may find interesting.

Old 05-22-2003, 11:06 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

I agree with everything Logan said...except...the search link should be in the nav bar on every page of the site

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 11:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is hard to tell from the picture, but you may have some type of anenome on the rock. Try to post a clearer picture and mabye we can identify it for you.

Brian
Old 05-23-2003, 10:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the quick replys.

I can return the wet/dry filter however, the shipping to me and back is money that I would have to swallow. Considering I am already over budget and my wife is on me about costs I will have to use this and take out the media.

From other pictures I have seen on the net I think it is a feather duster but, I will post a clearer picture in the identification forum.

Once I get everything up and running, I will post the an update with all the stats.

Thank you again

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com