Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-05-2004, 04:19 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
So you could have a DSB and/or LR with bioballs and be ok? Seems like I have always read that bioballs are not wanted in a reef tank regardless. If you had some LR and LS to do some denitrification, then bioballs could be used as well?

I have read articles about cleaning bioballs though.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to lawdawg18
I was planning on a Fish only with live rock tank for now. Maybe upgrade to corals later in life. I mentioned something to the guy at the LFS about putting live rock and sand into the sump and he acted like I was crazy. Seems like having to clean those bio balls would be a pain in the butt.
He said just put the bioballs into a milk create and go for it.
It looks as though most on here agree that the live rock and sand is the better choice. Seems to me that it would be easier maintance than the balls. Do you have to clean the sand in the sump or does it take care of itself?

lawdawg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
ellisz: I believe the theory is that the bio-balls break things down to the nitrate level and leaves the nitrates to float through the water column. Whereas LR and LS all the different bacterial colonies are coexisting so when the water is removed of the nitrites and replaced with nitrates its passed to the next set of bacteria which removes teh nitrates. So with the LR and LS, they're be removing nitrates, but the bio-balls will remove the nitrites, but leave the nitrates in the water column. Thats why folks don't "suppliment" LR/LS with BBs.

Lawdawg: if you're considering corals etc, then start now. use LR and LS this way you won't have to worry about trying to transition your system from BBs to LR/LS. the LR and LS are mostly maintenance free.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com