A follow up on ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
A brief synopsis of my situation:

28 gal, cycling with damsels. Canister filter, power filter/biowheel, small skimmer. Ammonia/nitrite/nitrates spiked, water went extremely cloudy. Fish distressed. See previous thread by me below for details.

My new question: In an effort to save my suffering fish, and having been told in the previous thread that water changes will not adversely affect my cycling, I made the decision to change out a large percentage of my aquarium water. I'm sure I'll get some feedback on why I should/should not have done this, which I do appreciate. However my question is this: after making this huge water change, the water is still cloudy, though not as much. What surprised me is that the ammonia is still testing at 2 ppm. I cannot imagine how this is possible considering the fact that there is so little of the original water remaining in the aquarium.

I've moved the damsels to a (very) small aquarium for the time being while -- after being put into 100% new water they are behaving much better, I assume because they are no longer subject to the ammonia. My idea was to put a large % of new water into the main aquarium for a similar result.

How can ammonia still be 2 ppm? What should my next step be? I'm afraid to put the fish back into the main aquarium, but also afraid to leave them so crowded in this small, unheated tank for very much longer.

Your continued input is very much appreciated. You folks have been very helpful.

I've moved the damsels to a (very) small aquarium for the time being while -- after being put into 100% new water they are behaving much better
Until the water goes bad in that container. I would put them back in the bigger tank and follow the below suggestion. Or better yet, return them to the LFS and do a fishless cycle.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
having been told in the previous thread that water changes will not adversely affect my cycling,
It won't if they are smaller water changes. Large changes will slow down the process a bit.
I would suggest doing a series of smaller water changes (like 20-25 % daily) this will still allow the cycle and keep the fish alive at the same time. If you decide to take them back, don't do any changes until the cycle finished. IMO

You can remove some but not all ammonia with water changes... you still want a little left anyway to complete the cycle.... I'd recommend putting a little fish food in to keep the bacteria working until everything except nitrates reads zero......

Next you want to do a HUGE water change to get rid of the nitrates before stocking...

As for the damsels... I would take them back to the LFS... I'm sure they're used to getting them back....

Back
Top Bottom