A Good Enough Quarantine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munskins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Airstone, Natural Lighting from window, 5 gallon bucket, 1lb of live rock (soon), heater,

good enough?

i don't think you need live rock for a QT tank. Actually, if you end up having to treat the fish for any kind of disease, the treatment will most likely kill the LR. I have heard of just using some big pieces of PVC pipe for the fish to hide in

I would also not suggest a 5 gal bucket unless it's an emergency. Although a decent amount of water for a small fish, the pail is tall rather tha long and surface area is very limited. This can easily lead to low dissolved O2 as well as hard to maintain ph levels. I would suggest a trip to the hardware store and pick up a cheap rubbermaid bin instead.

The airstone will not really provide much in the way of aerating the water either. You actually need to move the water and break the surface. That is how it will become aerated properly. A heater is a must as well as something to provide for filtration.

>>Here<< is a really good article on how to set up a cheap easy to do QT.

Cheers
Steve

I say get a 10 gal... and a small power filter like a Whsiper (10-20 Gal) ... I agree with the ... You don't use it for QT cause you will most likely have to treat and then there goes the LR ... I have PVC and piece of barren coral, a sponge filter, air pump and a whipser filter (useful because you can drop in a carbon bag to cleanse out the copper or other meds.)

I also would not have it near a window..that will promote unwanted algae growth and if it is a west window, heat.

Back
Top Bottom