A little confused??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phiberop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been reading alot on this forum and elsewhere and I am just a bit confused on the whole cycling topic. I read the post "The Birth of my tank" and just don't understand how you can introduce the fish in a matter of 72 hours. HOw does that work? Is it a personal preference to kill or not. I have been told over and over that I should cycle with Shrimp and wait a month before I add anything live. I am not even doing a reef setup here. What is good and what is not?

Thanks

To start with, you need to decide what type of setup you want: reef, fish only with Live rock or fish only?

I read the post "The Birth of my tank" and just don't understand how you can introduce the fish in a matter of 72 hours. HOw does that work?
first I would advise you read, read, read as I have, and that includes a good book...sure, if I was not going with LR, and starting with a new mechanical biological filter I would certainly have used the shrimp method. Per the Concientious Marine Aquarist, "with well-cured live rock you may never see the usual nitrogen cycle progression". The was started with 30lb of cured FIJI LR, and a cup of live sand from an established tank, a bottle of cycle and some marine flakes for an ammonia source and a water temp of 84 to promote bacterial growth. All measurements were very low before the damsels were added, indicating the rock was well-cured and did not spike the tank. In case you are not aware, well-cured means biologically sufficient, with loads of ammonia & nitrite eating bacteria. The day after the damsels were added, 20lb Tonga LR from another LFS (cured 3+ months) went in. The ammonia is 0 and now the nitrite level is an acceptable .25mg/l, PH is 8.1. Soon I will remove the bio-wheels from the filter before they get really cultivated, and just use that for carbon filtration. There is almost 20cycles / hr circulation around and through the live rock, I think that was a key to it's success also.

So now you see I didn't just fill the tank and get damsels as some lfs may recommend. I was very informed from many sources. I think it's those who assume, jump into this uninformed or don't spend the money and get the LR or are advised by a greedy LFS, etc., who get the bad lethal cycles. JMO

Also of note, I bought the cycle from a very busy store who does online sales, www.thatfishplace.com, ensuring the bottle was fairly fresh. Although I believe the live rock is 99% responsible for this swift cycling, I would have to say I recommend Cycle, especially if you know it hasn't been on the shelf long.

BTW, damsels are said to handle even the worst of cycles

hope this helps and be prepared to spend some money if you want a successful tank...

Phiberop,

Study and read as much as you can before you decide what you are going to do. I started out a little over a year ago with a "cheap" lol 55 set up from Wal-Mart for only $199.00.

$2500.00 later I have a pretty nice set up. At first I was not going to get any live rock just salt water and fish with a "good" Filter. SO I bought this "good"filter and now it sits unused in my basement. You may change your mind many times before you finally decide on what kind of system to get ( I change my mind every day).

This hobby is great fun and can be very rewarding for those who are patient. All of us would be happy to share our mistakes with you so you dent have to make them yourself. There are many ways to keep a successful Marine tank.

Every one will have an opinion you will still have to study and research what will suite your needs.

Good luck
P.S. its -22 in Black River right now
how is it at your house?

Back
Top Bottom