a little guidance needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DIZZLE808

Aquarium Advice Freak
So its been almost 2.5 months since velvet wiped out all the fish in my 55, now planning on getting everything back together. I have a question about setting up a QT. I'm currently using a eheim cannister filter, which I plan on changing to a sump sometime in the new year, but can I place a few bio balls somewhere inside the the filter media to seed it and then place them in HOB filter for the QT when needed?

So its been almost 2.5 months since velvet wiped out all the fish in my 55, now planning on getting everything back together. I have a question about setting up a QT. I'm currently using a eheim cannister filter, which I plan on changing to a sump sometime in the new year, but can I place a few bio balls somewhere inside the the filter media to seed it and then place them in HOB filter for the QT when needed?
Watch this video. It's very helpful. Happens to be from my LFS.

thanks for the link. I just wathced the video. question though... this is the first time I'm hearing of running a QT without some kind of filter, I'm not doubting your LFS credentials or anything but have you or anyone else used this method before with your QT? I was under the impression that water from the DT has no effect on filtering ammonia, trites, trates etc. So if you went without a filter I would assume your going to be doing pwcs daily

I am using it w/o filter. Just weekly water changes are fine or as needed if params are not good. However, even if you are using a filter and dosing with medication, oftentimes you get a false read on ammonia, etc. key is to keep you main water tank clean so you can use it in QT.

If going that route couldn't you just put fresh saltwater in the QT as opposed to taking water out of the DT?

I know what you mean. Luckily for me I get my water from the ocean...well from a saltwater well that comes from the ocean. On another note I'm looking into getting new PH's. In a perfect world I'd get the vortech mp40's. But since that's not financially excusable for me at the moment that'll have to wait. Any input/opinions on the hydor koralia wave maker controller?

After a bit if research I favored the hydors for performance and especially price. I had an opportunity to pick up a jebao 25 super cheap and I liked it so much I bought another. The hydors give you lots of options but if you need several ph or lots of gpm the jebao ph are really good.

I just looked at some reviews/videos on the Jebao's. I gotta say that right now I'm almost sold on them. I'll think about it a little while more before I pull the trigger. I have two maxi-jets in my 55 now and I cant seem to get the flow that I want..tried moving them around to different places and still end up with dead spots. I put them in a different spot last night so I'm going to see how the tank looks after a few days and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom