A little update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just want to give a little update on my new project. I went out to the LFS last night and picked up some livestock. I have 3 3-striped damsels and 3 bhen's damsels. I also picked up 35lbs of cured live rock.

As I was acclimating the fish, I went ahead and did some aquascaping and made a neat little single peak set up in my tank. Once the temps were settled out, I added the fish. As I was watching to make sure everything "seemed" ok, I noticed some little bug-like things floating around ( I hate being a newb, what are the?). I also noticed a little, tiny, snail working his way around the bottom of my tank.

Well, it has been 24 hours, and I just fed them for the first time (a little part of a frozen shrimp cube) and they all took just fine to that.

If you all care to, go check out www.photobucket.com and search mrtits. I have a folder there with a few pictures there. Also, I have a blog link set up, so any comments are welcome and appreciated.

(y)

This hobby is so addictive. It is hard not to rush into things sometimes. I find restraint the hardest thing in this hobby!

What is your final stocking plan that you've put 6 damsels into a 55g tank? EEK! That's an aweful lot of fish in a new tank. You're tank may not be ready for that kind of bioload. Make sure to watch your ammo carefully and be prepared to react when you start to see the spike. If you've fed them mysis that's great, but if it is brine then you'll want to make sure to keep that to a minimum since it is like potato chips for the fish. Yummy but no nutritional value. Keeping to very little feeding will help keep the ammo down while your bio filter is catching up to the load you've added (once every 2 or 3 days, very light feedings).

Bug like things sound like pods to me. Beneficial life for your tank.

Yeah, this is the initial set up.

As far as the amount of fish, I read that to cycle a tank you should use 1 fish for every 10gallons.

As far as final stocking...the list changes everyday. The plan at the momet is to keep the damsels around for a while (6 months or so) just to get everything settled out, and give me some time to get used to the maintenance. Then, I was thinking about a Huma Huma (not sure, still reasearching size), Achillies Tang (again the size thing), Clown Trigger, Nasso Tang, or sometype of Lion Fish...everything depends on size.

Aqualis, as your attorney I suggest you rent a car with no top. <--- inside joke

Also, assuming the damsels make it that far, they won't last in an aquarium with those tankmates. They're gonners in the first day.

I think suggesting NOT using live fish to cycle your tank is a little too late of a suggestion so if they DO survive the cycle and you DO add these predatory fish, I'd suggest taking the damsels back or giving them away as they're going to become expensive fish food.

- Petious Skinnious

i think there's an article about using shrimp at local food store to cycle the tank, i felt sorry for the damsels. i think is best to take the damsels back to the lfs and make sure your tank is cycle or you will learn the hard and expensive way.

Back
Top Bottom