A lucky find leads to a new SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jan4scuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
While cleaning out my closet, I found a gift fountain pen someone gave me 20 years ago. I had forgot all about it and had never used it. Truthfully is is really ugly. When I looked it up on eBay to my surprise it was considered a classic. So I'm selling it and looking to invest my windfall in a new saltwater tank. Instead of the nano I was about to setup, I've looking at the Red Sea Max130D. Since its a pricey piece of equipment I thought I'd ask the experts here what their experiences are or what they've heard about it. I would also like to know if people think it's worth the money. And lastly what would be a good alternative to it. I love the idea of plug and play. Thanks everyone for any input.
Jan4Scuba

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

While cleaning out my closet, I found a gift fountain pen someone gave me 20 years ago. I had forgot all about it and had never used it. Truthfully is is really ugly. When I looked it up on eBay to my surprise it was considered a classic. So I'm selling it and looking to invest my windfall in a new saltwater tank. Instead of the nano I was about to setup, I've looking at the Red Sea Max130D. Since its a pricey piece of equipment I thought I'd ask the experts here what their experiences are or what they've heard about it. I would also like to know if people think it's worth the money. And lastly what would be a good alternative to it. I love the idea of plug and play. Thanks everyone for any input.
Jan4Scuba

how much money are we talking?

personally i would do a 50 gallon cube (or close to it) with ATO, LEDs, with a 30-40 gallon sump / fuge. I'd either do full blown reef or do a predator tank to be honest. cant wait to see this build

We are talking about a little less than $1,000. Yeah I know it's hard to believe. I was floored when I saw it on eBay.. The only reason it's worth anything is because it was a limited edition of 6000 pieces and a commemorative pen. In a fancy box with some documents. If I remember correctly, my office chipped in and gave it to me as a birthday present. Crazy right? Right now I have a heavily planted nano and I'm trying to breed Killifish in my other nano. I want something peaceful and pretty. What's an ATO?

We are talking about a little less than $1,000. Yeah I know it's hard to believe. I was floored when I saw it on eBay.. The only reason it's worth anything is because it was a limited edition of 6000 pieces and a commemorative pen. In a fancy box with some documents. If I remember correctly, my office chipped in and gave it to me as a birthday present. Crazy right? Right now I have a heavily planted nano and I'm trying to breed Killifish in my other nano. I want something peaceful and pretty. What's an ATO?

ato = auto top off system so you have no salinity swings.

I'd skip the Red Sea all in ones. I'm not a fan as it limits you with upgrades due to limited sump and canopy space. You can put your own system together for less normally.

I agree, most plug and plays aren't really plug in plays. Most need upgrades for a reef. I would suggest just building your own tank. You could make a pretty nice one for $1k

The Red Sea max is actually a pretty nice tank and more reef capable. But for the price of one you could put together a much nicer tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks people. Any suggestions on the equipment? There is so much out there not to mention all the different reviews and opinions. I think the people on this forum really know what's going on and truly want to help their fellow hobbyists. Thanks for everything.
Jam

Somewhere between 25 and 40 gallons. I need some fish in my reef tank as well as coral. I was looking at ADA and ADG but there prices were off the wall. They added up to close to $2,500 for a 35 gallon tank without protein skimmer or heater.

Somewhere between 25 and 40 gallons. I need some fish in my reef tank as well as coral. I was looking at ADA and ADG but there prices were off the wall. They added up to close to $2,500 for a 35 gallon tank without protein skimmer or heater.

I would look at Mr. Aqua if you want to go Rimless. If not a 40B during Petco's dollar per gallon sale would be a good choice.

So I started looking on Craig's List in the New York and New Jersey area. There were more than 500 different tanks in a 50 mile radius of where I live. Everything imaginable. The problem is it's really hard to tell from some pictures. I never realized how big this hobby is. Most people were either moving or upgrading.
Besides the pen hasn't sold yet. LOL

Boooyahhh! Nice winfall:) I have a few fountain pens from my grandfather siting in my desk... I'll be back...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For anyone thats interested in this update, the pen did not sell for $1,000 and neither did any others listed on ebay. I dropped the price to $400.00 to see where the bottom is and I now have 8 people watching with no bids. But I did find some old shoes and and ski clothes that I don't wear anymore and they sold quickly. So my nest egg is halfway there.

It also looks like I will need to stay with a nano reef tank since I just learned my daughter is going to have her first baby and my first grandchild and my office will be turned into a part time nursery for the time being. No room for a large tank and all the rest of the stuff that comes with it.

That's too bad about the pen. Still, you can make that nano a great tank. Life happens. Congrats on the new addition.

Just sold the pen for $400. Starting to plan my nano reef. Live rock and reef primo live rock on the agenda. Need to get my thoughts together. Lots of questions. I hope people are around to advise. More to come. I need RO/DI, nano protein skimmer (want to make sure this tank stays pristine). Does anyone know a good reference book I can read to learn about SPS, LPS, and soft and polyps etc.

Just sold the pen for $400. Starting to plan my nano reef. Live rock and reef primo live rock on the agenda. Need to get my thoughts together. Lots of questions. I hope people are around to advise. More to come. I need RO/DI, nano protein skimmer (want to make sure this tank stays pristine). Does anyone know a good reference book I can read to learn about SPS, LPS, and soft and polyps etc.

I'm always here for little questions.

Thanks SF (i couldn't get myself to address you as silly..lol)

First questions:

1. I've been looking at protein skimmers and UV lights again. I know people have told me that its overkill on a 9 gallon tank, but if I'm going to spend money on beautiful corals, I will want them to live and grow. Any suggestion on whether I should invest in PS and/or UV or not? And if so any recommendations on which ones for such a small tank.

2. A Deep Blue Solar Flare LED came with my purchase on craigslist. Specs are:

2 x 6,700K Midday lamps
2 x 10,000K Daylight lamps
2 X 460NM R.Blue Lamps
5 X 3Watts.

I'm sure these ratings mean something, but I'm having difficulties trying to combine them to see what type of corals it will allow me to grow in the tank.

Any information on these questions will be most appreciated.

Update. I just purchased a RSM130 from Craigslist for a great price. Can someone help me out with answers to the following:

Should I run bleach through the system to sterilize it and if so how much in 34 gallons

I've read do much abt upgrading original equipment does anyone have experience with this type of decision.

Has anyone heard of Steve T media basket?

Thanks as usual.

Back
Top Bottom