A Mixture of Cured and Uncured rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve149c

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've read the very informative article on this website about Live Rock. I therefore have a question, If I only put a small amount of Uncured rock in the tank, say 2 lb, allowed it to cycle (The levels wouldn't get so high), then I can add the rest of the Live Rock as Cured rock yes? This way I would get some of those hitchhikers?

Or should I just get the whole tank as Cured Rock and try to obtain some Hitchhikers?

Cheers

Steve

i think you will get a cycle either way. if the rock is truly cured that you are considering, you can try to transport it fully submerged in buckets and this might help limit die-off.

Yes you can do that but that wont be enough to cycle your tank. If it was me I would go ahead and put all the rock in at the same time. Any BR will cure and the cured rock will already have the nitrifying bacteria so that you might not see much of a cycle. With that little bit of uncured rock I would add a piece of shrimp or a pinch of flakes for your ammonia source.

Are you planning on getting base rock also, or just fully cured LR and some uncured LR?

I would get 50% - 75% of base rock and the rest as uncured LR to start a new tank. You will be amazed at what survives the cycle and starts coming ut on the LR over the first year. My ammonia level went off the chart (8+) during my cycle and yet there was an amazing amount of life that sprouted in the tank that first year.

Hmmmm, more new information - what is base rock? Am I right to assume that this is normal rock - ie out of a volcano etc?

Thanks for the other advice, it really is starting to help my plan come together.

Thanks

Steve

No Base rock is just rock that is dried up and has no life either beneficial bacteria or small critters in it. But if you add it to your tank it will become live over time esp the nitrifying bacteria that is needed. You`ll also see some of the critters in other LR move over to it also.

I agree!

I pretty much did the same thing Cmor suggests when I set up my tank. Even during the cycle I could see critters running around. Excellent percentages there Cmor! I totally agree!

So does everything that is a base rock, or item become "live" b./c of all the bacteria on it? I put all of my items from my 1st tank into the second one I am cycling to further the process faster....

Yes the BR will become live because of the nitrifying bacteria that will grow on the surface of it. Moving everything to the second tank will

Back
Top Bottom