A out of box thought on cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShooterRick

Aquarium Advice Freak
First! THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION OF ANY KIND. I have not done this or researched the possibility even!

When looking at the Salt tank cycle chemistry it became strangely familiar to me. My other hobby is smoking and curing my own meats, hams , sausages and such. I am a BBQ Fanatic with a smoker that will slow smoke 80 lbs of meat at a time. Hence comes the familiar part!

The tank cycle chemistry is very similar to what takes place when using commercial cures for bacon, ham, sausages and such. OK now to the odd part.

2 commercial readily available cures are nothing but pure salt,sugar, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite in known quantitys by wheight.

The first cure found in large grocery stores locally is called Tender Quick by Morton. It is pickling sometimes called kosher salt, sugar, and 0.5 % sodium nitrate and 0.5 % sodium nitrite by weight. It also contains propylene gycol.

Insta Cure #1 is Kosher salt and sodium nitrite at 6.25 % by weight and is available online at most sausage making supply companies.

Now I was wondering if these products could in any way be benificial to artificially cycle an aqarium? The math is possible if I wanted to make the effort but I was just curious about the viability of jump starting a tank with these product.

Back
Top Bottom