Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-06-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
a real newbie

So like i am completely new to the saltwater hobby. I've got an oceanic 58 show sitting dry at the moment but want to go salt. Is this a good size? Also I would only want like some smaller community fish and tons of corals and such, what kinda lighting would i need? Finaly should i go with a refugium or the wet/dry or even like a eheim? I know this may sound stupid but all the LFS tell me something different. Would appreciate any help possible!!!!

teguc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
first of all, there isn't really a set number for how big the tank need.
it can range from 10g to 300g even bigger.
the smaller your tank is the more often u need to change wwater to keep it nice and clean for your fish
Second, it will depend on what type of fish and coral u want to keep to find out what kind of equipment u need.
a refugium is always a plus for reef system, so i would say yes if u be able to set up one

We Provide LED Solution For Your Aquarium..
Click the Signature for more information.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish
welcome to AA, trust me, before you do anything, read up on this forum and maybe a good book. I think 58 gallons is an excellent starter size. I think the general rule for corals is 5 watts per gallon so you are gonna want around 300 watts on your tank. Either Metal Halide or Compact Flourecents. Just make sure you read up a ton, thats what i did, and what many others have done. This is the best place to start, i have had my tank up for 3 months now, and pretty much problem free thanks to this site, and the people who use this site. Good luck and keep us posted.
50 Gallon Oceanic: 2 maxijet 1200's, 2 150 watt visitherm heaters, BakPak II Skimmer with PS & BT, Coralife Lunar 2X65 watt Power Compacts

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AA!!!! This is where the addiction starts..

A 58 GAL is a great reef starter. The size is good, and costs are lower than most tanks.
Lighting will all depend on what you want to keep. Read all you can regarding coral keeping. Some will thrive with pc, and others will thrive with MH.
I would go with the refugium if you are keeping corals. Wet/dry is nice, but you will want to remove the bio balls and replace them with reef rubble to control the nitrates.
Whatever your lfs tells, check here to confirm whether it is correct or not. Many times lfs are only out to sell you things without worrying about the problems you will encounter. Post your questions as you read through. Everyone here is very friendly, and eager to help.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com