a real newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teguc1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So like i am completely new to the saltwater hobby. I've got an oceanic 58 show sitting dry at the moment but want to go salt. Is this a good size? Also I would only want like some smaller community fish and tons of corals and such, what kinda lighting would i need? Finaly should i go with a refugium or the wet/dry or even like a eheim? I know this may sound stupid but all the LFS tell me something different. Would appreciate any help possible!!!!

Welcome!!!
first of all, there isn't really a set number for how big the tank need.
it can range from 10g to 300g even bigger.
the smaller your tank is the more often u need to change wwater to keep it nice and clean for your fish
Second, it will depend on what type of fish and coral u want to keep to find out what kind of equipment u need.
a refugium is always a plus for reef system, so i would say yes if u be able to set up one

welcome to AA, trust me, before you do anything, read up on this forum and maybe a good book. I think 58 gallons is an excellent starter size. I think the general rule for corals is 5 watts per gallon so you are gonna want around 300 watts on your tank. Either Metal Halide or Compact Flourecents. Just make sure you read up a ton, thats what i did, and what many others have done. This is the best place to start, i have had my tank up for 3 months now, and pretty much problem free thanks to this site, and the people who use this site. Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to AA!!!! This is where the addiction starts..

A 58 GAL is a great reef starter. The size is good, and costs are lower than most tanks.
Lighting will all depend on what you want to keep. Read all you can regarding coral keeping. Some will thrive with pc, and others will thrive with MH.
I would go with the refugium if you are keeping corals. Wet/dry is nice, but you will want to remove the bio balls and replace them with reef rubble to control the nitrates.
***Important***
Whatever your lfs tells, check here to confirm whether it is correct or not. Many times lfs are only out to sell you things without worrying about the problems you will encounter. Post your questions as you read through. Everyone here is very friendly, and eager to help.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom