A rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYTY1705

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of getting some live rock from liverocks.com. Does this rock need to be cycled or can I add it to my tank right then. I have a couple clowns and a bar gobi and snails and shrimp only. I would like to know if I need all the rubbermaid pails and extra powerheads to do this. If so it would be cheaper to by cycled lr from lfs but it has no hitch hikers.

You can add it directly to your tank. I QT'd mine though to remove any unwanted hitchhikers. If you do add it, be sure to watch your water readings. There will be some die off and chances are it will be minimal enough that your tank will handle it without a problem. But, water test will help you be sure, just in case.

Add it atraight to the main, you may see a small amonia spike but minimal, All I would recomend to do is have some water made up ready to go for a small water change if need be the day after. Great stuff. I added 240 pounds to my tank at once and saw only a minimal amonia rise and was completet;y gone within 2 days, and this was a lot of rock at once.

I would be careful when adding any rock (cured or not) that has been shipped. If the rock is not 100% submerged in water during shipping there will be some die-off. This can cause a mini-cycle to happen again.

Back
Top Bottom