A slow start...filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetshannon

Aquarium Advice Regular
So far all I have is my (custom!:angel:) stand and my 58 gallon oceanic tank.
I plan on adding my 80 pounds of live rock i the next month or so....as funds allow.
My question is regarding filtration. I know the (cured) rocks have lots of bacteria. But I also am wondering what kind of mechanical filtration to add. I like AquaClears and fluval canisters. Which one would be good for this tank. I will have a skimmer, too. Will a HOB be enough? Or should I get the canister? I am leaning toward the HOB, but am really wondering what is my best bet.
Any recommendations or things to avoid?
Thanks!

I like Fluvials as well. Canisters tend to run more quiet than HOBs and can be hidden. I find it easier to run filter media in my canister and don't have to buy brand specific media that will only fit certain HOBs.
Save some money and get 75% base rock....

I think your best bet would be a wet/dry (dont buy new check your locak CL) you could also do a DIY sump/refugium, You could do a HOB but it would have to be AquaClear 110 at least.

I may do a sump if I convert my 100 gallon fresh to salt down the road. But for my beginner tank, I am going with a HOB or can. I actually really like the AC110. I have one on my other tank.

I`m a LR and skimmer person. IMO all you need for great filtration for your tank.

Ok, I was going to go with both. But I used to have Ranchu, so I tend to overdo the filtration. So is a HOB completely unnecessary? I am thinking an octopus HOB skimmer, so maybe too much on the back on the back of the tank? So I am OK with about 80 pounds of live rock and a skimmer! Good!:cool: And thanks!

Its not a sump its a wet/dry i think it would work.

With 80 lbs of rock in a 58g tank, there is absolutely no need for a wet/dry. Unless of course you remove all the bioballs and just use it as a sump.

Agree with melosu... you don't really need any other filtration for a successful tank. But personally, I like having something cannister-like to run chemical media in, as well as providing a little mechanical filtration. I've got a Marineland 250 HOT filter that I run GFO (granulated ferric oxide) and Purigen in and it works well for me. Quiet and unobtrusive on the back. Whatever you use, just make sure you clean out the mechanical filter part of it (floss, sponge, etc) on a weekly basis. If you neglect it, it can cause nitrate issues down the road.

With 80 lbs of rock in a 58g tank, there is absolutely no need for a wet/dry. Unless of course you remove all the bioballs and just use it as a sump.

Agree with melosu... you don't really need any other filtration for a successful tank. But personally, I like having something cannister-like to run chemical media in, as well as providing a little mechanical filtration. I've got a Marineland 250 HOT filter that I run GFO (granulated ferric oxide) and Purigen in and it works well for me. Quiet and unobtrusive on the back. Whatever you use, just make sure you clean out the mechanical filter part of it (floss, sponge, etc) on a weekly basis. If you neglect it, it can cause nitrate issues down the road.

great! thanks so much..:p

Very true, i didnt pay attenion to the 80lbs of LR.

Back
Top Bottom