A way of shorting the algea bloom period?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishrfreinds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi as some of you know my tank is cycling currently.
And its going thought that algea phase right now.

Ive been thinking about what if i left the light on all day and night maybe this shoten this aleage bloom in half. Incresing there photosenthis making them burn off more of there nutreints. making them die out faster. I dont know if this will work has anyone tried this?

An algae bloom is just part of the tank establishing itself. Patience...learn it now and it will pay off down the road.

Let the algae bloom run unless you have cyano which is the red slime if you get that most likely flow is your problem.

The first lesson here, Grasshopper, is that in this hobby "Nothing good happens fast". Nothing you can do to "speed up the cycle" will benefit your tank, nor your future livestock, in any way. You're best off to keep the lights on a short cycle and let things run its course. If you've been cycling for some time and the diatoms are currently in bloom then chances are you're near the end of your cycle. If your numbers are good I'd add a good sized clean up crew and begin considering what your first fish would be.

I'm sorry if you mistook something I said for calling you irresponsible. That's not the case at all. My comment was mearly a way of expressing that the cycle will hapen and there's really nothing you can do to "rush" it that will be of any use to you. Here's to a fast end to the diatom bloom! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom