? about canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guardgz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have two hang over edge filters both are 40-70 gal filters, we are kicking around possibly buying a canister filter, any suggestions on type or size. Our tank is 85 gal. I have heard that they are lose their prime if the power goes out and that they over flow sometimes??

I have Rena XP2's and XP3's and have had no problems with them. If the power goes out, they start right back up when the power comes back on. You won't have any overflow problems, as both the intake and output are in the tank. I think you might be talking about some sumps where it could overflow if not set up properly. But canisters are self contained.

If you are interested in the Rena's, I would probably go for the XP4 for your tank.

Last edited:
I agree. I'm a pretty big fan of the XPs as well.

My personal opinion is that LR and a skimmer is all you need. Not saying a canister is bad or wrong just thinking if it was me I would save the money for something else. JMO

I've got 50 lbs LR, 50 lbs BR, Octopus bh 800s HOB Skimmer and an Eheim 2080 strictly filled with bio media on my 120.

My bad... I was in FW mode. :(

I agree with LR anf flow as preferred SW filtration.

Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) ; Phosphate remover

A canister can certainly be used to put LR rubble in. Save a chamber or 2 for specialized media when you need it.. Many run their systems this way, or in conjunction with other filtering sources.

BTW: I prefer Fluval canisters...

Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) ; Phosphate remover

A canister can certainly be used to put LR rubble in. Save a chamber or 2 for specialized media when you need it.. Many run their systems this way, or in conjunction with other filtering sources.

BTW: I prefer Fluval canisters...
Thank you Captain.

I currently have an xp2 and an xp3 on my 125g fw, I've ran the xp1 but never the xp4 (wasn't out yet when I was buying filters)

The Rena Filstar XP models are winners in every aspect. low Maintenance, no leaks, and they are easily maintained with a no-leak quick disconnect from the hoses.

I'd recommend them to any enthusiest. :)

Back
Top Bottom