Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

? about getting started

I decided a few weeks ago to setup my aquarium with saltwater. After a little research and equipment purchase I started my setup last friday. I added the substrate to the bottom(crushed coral), setup the filter-heater-airpump/airstone. Mixed my water with a conditioner waited 15 minutes added the salt and added to my 30 gallon tank. So after all this is done, I fired up the system and let her rip and put the light and cover on.

Well I checked the water this morning and it is still cloudy. I pulled out the foam filter and rinsed off in the sink and put back in. But I got to thinking. After all I read, I still forgot to rinse the substrate. Did I do myself a big injustice or am I still ok. Any thoughts or recomendations on this. Could I jsut take out my siphon/vacumm and clean the substrate? Thanks

Old 11-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

I wll tell you my experience with CC. I liked it at first and it became hard to clean and limits your clean up crew/sand sifting critters. I actually had it in my tank for about three months before I decided it is time to go. I do have to say, there are plenty of folks that love it, I'm not one of them. The cloud should settle down. You will still be ok.
What are you planning on doing?
Reef or FOWLR?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #3

I havent fully decided yet. Are live rock considered reef? If so then it would be reef. Would like to have a mixture of a few coral and fish.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
LR is not considered reef. Live really means the nitrifying bacteria that resides on/in the rock. The other "live" critters are a bonus.
Check this post:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=90711
So you are going reef. If you want corals, that would be considered a reef tank. I have a 55G FOWLR, there were a few corals that I got with my LR, but I do not actively stock corals in that tank. You will just have to do some research as to what fish/inverts will co-exsist with your corals. For that, I will have to defer to the reefers.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:10 AM   #5

After doing some more reading, I think my plan for now is going to be fish with liverock and some inverts. Will see what might grow from the live rock. I am getting a little concerned about the crushed coral though. Should I take it out and replace it with sand? Or will I be just fine? Do you have to siphon sand as well?

I took some readings just for a base measurement. Granted all that is in my tank is the crushed coral.
Nitrite=0
nitrate= 5.0 low 25 high
Alkalinity= normal
Ammonia=0
ph=8.3
s gravity= 1.016

how do my numbers look to start with. Should I be picking up live rock now to put in. What is this I keep seeing about base rock? Do I need both. my tank is 29 gallons and is 30" tall by 18" by 12".
Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to alaher2
I do use CC myself, and it really hasn't been that difficult to clean. With good water flow and some quality cleaners (blue legged crabs work great) the crushed coral doesn't need that much attention compared to live sand. IMO
Old 11-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have a different experience as I dont do any maint on my sand. I have two sand sifters that clean my sand and I dont touch my sand. I believe you`ll do more maint on CC than sand IMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_dude
nitrate= 5.0 low 25 high
s gravity= 1.016
Your no3 reading should be 0 at this point since you have nothing but cc in the tank. I'd recheck your no3 level with your lfs to be sure. Could be you have no3 in your tap water which will be problematic later on. You should invest in an RO/DI unit if you do.

A lot of people get them from ebay for around $100. Below are the 3 most popular sites:
Filter-Direct-store (seems to be most popular on this site)
The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop
ROfilterDepot

You need to bring your sg level up to 1.019 as a minimum and closer to 1.023 IMO.

I also would highly recommend replacing your cc with aragonite sand since you're just getting started.

A 30" tall tank isn't the best for SW but will work with strong surface agitation. I'd use two 200+ GPH ph aimed towards the surface and pointed at each other.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com