Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just read with too much inflection in your words, I am sorry.

The density and porosity of the rock will determine how much is actually needed. Eighty or ninety pounds of holier than wow rock may have more biological ability than Two hundred pounds of slab concrete.

The biological demand you are placing on the rock will also determine how much is adequate.

My 300 lbs statement was an unchecked response to a question that I did not believe could be answered with such a generalization.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Well I do understand what you are saying and yes you are right as to surface area and bioload but sometimes that is hard to figure out esp. if you have 3 different types as I do. I have Fiji, Marshall Island and Tonga LR. As long as swimming room is not affected a little extra LR will not harm anything. We dont know what type he is getting. Let us know what type LR and equipement you`re getting Army6192. Good Luck

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I am a very strong advocate of 2 lbs per gallon. Especially when people are using the aquacultured rock which is so much more dense. I think alot of the generalization IS needed because people just starting out are speaking in general terms, they dont have the experience to know the differences between the rock types and so that poundage is the referance point.

Furthermore, IMO, you cannot have too much rock as long as your fish have room to swim, stuff it full. When you run out of room in the tank, fill the sump too!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Has anyone else noticed the change in color when using acronyms like IMO? Well, IMO, the visible difference looks like inflection or tone has changed. I know paranoia probably has a bit to play with my perception, but read back over multiple posts from anyone. The italicized or altered acronym calls out like hands on hips with heads bobbing
Maybe it's just me.
Alone.
IMO.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
The italicized acronym is like that because if you mouse over it slowly, it defines the acronym for you. The system does it automatically.

Either that, or we are all out to get you!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

They say that paranoia is the most heightened state of awareness. If that's true, I've got a whole country! (insert smiley of your choice here!)

Tags
setup, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com