about to start working on a 180 gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

army6192plt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I should be recieving my 180 gal all glass tank on monday. (petco was having a sale buy the stand get the tank free...... thought 357 for a 180 with stand was a good deal) I now have 2 400 watt mh and 2 DIY skimmers.
(both have been tested on the reef i have now)

Looking to do a fowlr tank and leave the small tank for the reef.

looking for any suggestions...

If your going to do FOWLR then you dont need special lighting. The only filtration you`ll need is 1 3/4 lbs per gallon of LR and a skimmer. Cant wait to see pics.

I agree, and congrats on the great deal!

Then you do as Roka says.... "get base rock and seed it with LR", but I agree that is a lot of rock. Just think....

Base rock:
$2/lb x 250lbs =$500

Live rock:
$6.50/lb x 50lbs = $325

Kick butt SW tank to look at for hours on end:
Priceless

I have 200 lbs in my 125. I dont see any problem. IME, my tank doesn`t see any problem either.

I dont know what you see as defensive. I was merely pointing out that I have 1 3/4 lbs per gallon that I suggested that you questioned. You questioned- I answered. What`s to be defensive about?

I just read with too much inflection in your words, I am sorry.

The density and porosity of the rock will determine how much is actually needed. Eighty or ninety pounds of holier than wow rock may have more biological ability than Two hundred pounds of slab concrete.

The biological demand you are placing on the rock will also determine how much is adequate.

My 300 lbs statement was an unchecked response to a question that I did not believe could be answered with such a generalization.

Well I do understand what you are saying and yes you are right as to surface area and bioload but sometimes that is hard to figure out esp. if you have 3 different types as I do. I have Fiji, Marshall Island and Tonga LR. As long as swimming room is not affected a little extra LR will not harm anything. We dont know what type he is getting. Let us know what type LR and equipement you`re getting Army6192. Good Luck

I am a very strong advocate of 2 lbs per gallon. Especially when people are using the aquacultured rock which is so much more dense. I think alot of the generalization IS needed because people just starting out are speaking in general terms, they dont have the experience to know the differences between the rock types and so that poundage is the referance point.

Furthermore, IMO, you cannot have too much rock as long as your fish have room to swim, stuff it full. When you run out of room in the tank, fill the sump too!

Has anyone else noticed the change in color when using acronyms like IMO? Well, IMO, the visible difference looks like inflection or tone has changed. I know paranoia probably has a bit to play with my perception, but read back over multiple posts from anyone. The italicized or altered acronym calls out like hands on hips with heads bobbing
Maybe it's just me.
Alone.
IMO.

The italicized acronym is like that because if you mouse over it slowly, it defines the acronym for you. The system does it automatically.

Either that, or we are all out to get you!

They say that paranoia is the most heightened state of awareness. If that's true, I've got a whole country! (insert smiley of your choice here!)

Back
Top Bottom