Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2009, 01:44 AM   #101
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
I used some ammonia I found at ace hardware. I went overboard with it too! Put it this way: Before the ammonia, I thought my API saltwater test kit was bad. Its not! It turned nearly black after half a cap full of the 10% ammonia!!!! (Thats way offscale! At least over 8ppm).

So I did nearly an entire water change and got it down to around 2ppm. I got my live rock today and put it into the tank. Within a few hours, the ammonia has dropped significantly according to my ammonia alarm. Claims 0.2ppm. I will be testing this with my API test kit soon. Nitrites are also showing now too. (0.25ppm)

I dont know if it was the live rock or something in the sand kicking in or the stress zyme, but since putting in the 15lbs of uncured figi live rock things have been happening!

So what should I be doing now? Im guessing I dont need to be putting any more ammonia in, do I? (The live rock has alot of stuff on it that is probably dead). It took one day to get to me and was inside a plastic bad, and covered in really wet cardboard. The rock itself was very moist. There were some dead maggots as well. Strange thing is, the rock didnt smell bad at all. Didnt smell good either. (Smelled like rock rather than death).

I could see alot of algae looking stuff on the rock. (white, red, purple). Should I be leaving the light on now for the rock? The water temperature is 83F. Should it be lower, or higher? Power head is on pointed at the surface of the water.

Whats next?

EDIT: I used the API ammonia test and its showing 2ppm, even though the SeaChem alarm thing I got says 0.2ppm???? Weird?
Nitrates are now showing too! Its either 5 or 10ppm. (The colors are just too close together) Also, Nitrites are at 0.5ppm.
matt

Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 AM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you rinse off the LR before you put it in your tank? Uncured LR has lots of dead sponges and other life forms that can over tax your system and make your cycle last longer then need be. 83 is on the threshold of the high side but not a big deal when cycling your tank. I would run the lights to be sure it works and to see if it raises the temp of the water any higher.
All you have to do is watch and monitor your system. When ammonia and nitrite hit 0 and stay there for a few days you're good to go.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
I didnt wash off the rocks. Woops! There wasnt much stuff on them though and the seller claims to pre treat them somehow. There is some junk hanging from them that looks like dead plants or something.

I am having an issue with two things:
1-My ammonia tests do not coincide with each other at all. My SeaChem Ammonia alert that I hung in the tank now says 0.05ppm (down from 0.5ppm) but my API liquid test says 2ppm still. Nitrites are on the rise as well as nitrates...

2-My pH is staying steady at 7.8 rather than 8.8 (Where it was when I first mixed up the salt). The salt claims to buffer to 8.2-8.4 as does the live sand. Any idea why this is so? I dont guess I should raise the pH right now should I?

Temperature is 80F now. (Turned it down some). SG is around 1.023

Thanks guys!
Matt
Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take some water to your lfs and have them test it. My guess is the seachem thing is wrong.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

When a tank is cycling, pH will bounce all over the place. Ignore pH until you're done cycling. And even then, it'll still most likely be "low" for the first month or so. Don't add anything to increase the pH... it'll just mess up your water parameters down the road. Trust me on that one... been there, done that.

I'd trust the API kit and throw away the seachem thingie. Regardless, it doesn't really matter at this point. You're seeing nitrites, so your cycle is underway.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:25 AM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1...I agree with Kurt. Go with the API test kit. you are seeing a raise in nitrites and you will see a drop in ammonia. This is all good. Don't worry about the PH at this point.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello, thanks for the tips!
Now that ammonia is dropping and nitrites are dropping, I have nitrates getting higher and higher. Should I put some more ammonia in the tank?

I know that Nitrates arent anything to worry about with a fishless cycle, but could really high levels hurt the live rock?
BTW-Water Parameters todays as follows:
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrites: 1ppm
Nitrates: 60ppm
Temp:79.8F
SG: 1.023

Matt
Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can do a PWC now to bring the nitrates down. This will not hurt your cycle. and you do not need more ammonia.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Do you think it would be alright to wait for the cycle to finish out with ammonia and nitrite at zero and then do a water change? This would save me alot of salt!

If not, what kind of PWC are we talking here? Or I guess a better question is, what should I get the nitrates down to (during the cycle).

Matt
Old 06-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can wait and do a large PWC at the end. It's up to you.

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com