I used some ammonia I found at ace hardware. I went overboard with it too! Put it this way: Before the ammonia, I thought my API saltwater test kit was bad. Its not! It turned nearly black after half a cap full of the 10% ammonia!!!! (Thats way offscale! At least over 8ppm).
So I did nearly an entire water change and got it down to around 2ppm. I got my live rock today and put it into the tank. Within a few hours, the ammonia has dropped significantly according to my ammonia alarm. Claims 0.2ppm. I will be testing this with my API test kit soon. Nitrites are also showing now too. (0.25ppm)
I dont know if it was the live rock or something in the sand kicking in or the stress zyme, but since putting in the 15lbs of uncured figi live rock things have been happening!
So what should I be doing now? Im guessing I dont need to be putting any more ammonia in, do I? (The live rock has alot of stuff on it that is probably dead). It took one day to get to me and was inside a plastic bad, and covered in really wet cardboard. The rock itself was very moist. There were some dead maggots as well.
Strange thing is, the rock didnt smell bad at all. Didnt smell good either. (Smelled like rock rather than death).
I could see alot of algae looking stuff on the rock. (white, red, purple). Should I be leaving the light on now for the rock? The water temperature is 83F. Should it be lower, or higher? Power head is on pointed at the surface of the water.
EDIT: I used the API ammonia test and its showing 2ppm, even though the SeaChem alarm thing I got says 0.2ppm???? Weird?
Nitrates are now showing too! Its either 5 or 10ppm. (The colors are just too close together) Also, Nitrites are at 0.5ppm.