Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #171
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now that you don't have any fish in your tank do a good size water change 20% twice and let the tank go for at least 3 weeks and try again. Don't worry about the hermits, they eat whatever they can find in the tank, not just algae.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds good, I did a 20% last night.

So what about the other critters? Should I leave some stuff out for them? I have some Nori and a clip. Would it be safe to put that into the tank and leave it? Or will this create an ammonia spike? (If uneaten) The Cerinths seem content with whatever is already in there, but the Nessarius snails seem to be starving. (Or maybe thats just how they act when something dead is floating around?). I think two snails died. (Havent moved since I added them). Should I get them out or leave them alone? (Nothing seems to be eating them).

How should I feed this coral banded shrimp? He wont come out for anything!

Also,
the snails leave alot of poo around. Is that okay?
All in all, nothing really has gone up since adding life. (Except for poo).

Thanks!
Matt

Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leave the dead snails in there as the hermits may use the shells as they get bigger. If your shrimp eats like my cleaner shrimp, then throw in some frozen brine or something along those lines. The poo is fine, mine did the same when I first started. Sorry about the clowns, I killed my first pair too. Now I have a black perc., regular perc., 2 pajama cardinals, spotted mandarin (fattening up on brine ), and a cleaner shrimp. I'm now planning on upgrading to a 75g to expand my collection. :p
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just feed the tank lightly and feed the CBS late at night. The snail poo is just part of the food cycle of your tank. They take a higher protein and break it down to a lower nitrate.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 AM   #175
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
I notice now that he seems to catch some of the mysis shrimp that get thrown around in the current. I also see that tonight he molted! I first thought he was dead and getting eaten by the snails, but there he was looking at them eating his exo...Yuck! (At least the critters have something to eat now!)

I have added some corals and wanted to know a little more about adding some more. So far, I have added zooanthid polyps. I have no idea if they are happy. They all open completely and look alright. Some fluoresce with my black light on at night! Neato!

Here is what I have for the lighting: Coralife lights, 65W (50/50 10,000K and Actinic). I have the corals placed in direct light, about 10in away from the bulbs. How does this setup sound? Whats the most I can get away with here? (as far as corals go). How do I know they are happy? (I assume them opening fully is good).

I saw a Torch at my other LFS, but the guy there suggested I pass on it and others like it.

Thanks!
Matt

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com